This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, September 1, 2016

It's that time again....

 Yep, September is here already and the kids are getting ready to head back to school.
 Summers always go so quickly, don't they!
 While my hubby and I are now empty-nesters, I still like to decorate for back to school, it makes me happy. Plus, we still have one son who will be heading back to college in a few weeks and we have two teachers in the family now, Megan is an English Professor at the University and Rachelle is a first grade teacher at a local school! I'm so proud of them!
I found this darling picture in an old book that I was getting rid of because it had a lot of damage. It turned out perfect hanging on this mini clipboard on the side of the pie safe.
 I decorated this pie safe in the kitchen and the front porch for the season.
Isn't this little chalkboard adorable! It's a new find this year.
 I wanted to hang it, so I made two holes with a hammer and nail and tied on some vintage plaid shoestrings.

My best friend gave me the shoestrings several years ago as a memory gift because we actually used them back in high school when we were both on the dance team. We used them in our red Famolare's (wavy wedge soled shoes popular in the 1970s) because our school mascot was "The Highlanders" and our uniforms were made of red tartan plaid. I've had these shoestrings in the package for many years and I'm so excited that I found a way to use them!
 I have lots of fun vintage goodies! The wooden ruler belonged to my mother when she was a little girl in school in the mid 1940s.
 This old cigar-box did not make it into the display, but next year I will figure out how to incorporate it. It's a new idea I had this year to recreate the school boxes I had in grade school.
I am starting to fill it with vintage supplies that I remember as a child. I am on the hunt for an old jar of paste and an old mini Elmer's glue, more vintage crayons, a jumbo size pencil, etc. I have 4 penny's in there because my mama always put them in our lunches to buy milk. :)
 Old paint tins!
 These little cute little tartan Keds are a new find this year too. Aren't they sweet!
 Old books, a globe, ink well, bell, bus and blocks.
 I bought this fun microscope at a garage sale because it was only .50 cents. I bought it because I really only wanted the wooden box that it came in, but then I realized how fun it would be in this display! I set it on top of an antique plaid lunch pail and it's perfect!
 A wise old owl!
 Fun very, very old books which were recently given to me by my childhood piano teacher.
 I found this wonderful old back to school catalog at a garage sale for a dime. It's from August of 1955.
 The clothes are darling!
 The little girl dresses are just so sweet and so cheap! I wish the prices were still like this today!
Wishing all the students and teachers a very happy and successful school year!

"But Jesus said, 'Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'" Matthew 19:14

3 comments:

Sue from NY said...

Sharon, we missed you! Thank you for sharing your decorations. What a trip down memory lane. Especially the red plaid lunch box! Lots of oohs and ahhs looking at the pics. It's our birthday month. Here's to another blessed year for us.

gin said...

I always love the start of the new school year. And I love school supply shopping. Tho I'm an empty nester, I still manage to make a few back to school shopping sprees. Our school year started Aug 4th. But have been closed due to the 2016 Louisiana Flood for the past 3 weeks. Schools and homes flooded and people displaced. Schools are scheduled to re-open and resume classes on Sept 12. We need your prayers.

Denise said...

You have such an eye for decorating, I just love it! The telescope, the lunch box, the shoes, the chalkboard with the cute shoestrings...everything is so adorable. I always look forward to seeing what you do in your beautiful home. By the way, I love your pie safe. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...