This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Get'n saucy with my husband...

Our apples are ready for harvesting!
My husband and I have been having so much fun canning together, we decided to make applesauce together too!
He has made applesauce every fall for many years, but he always seemed to do it when I wasn't home, so it was just his thing, but this year I really wanted to make it with him.
It was so fun just going out the backdoor to pick the apples!
And pick we did! Look how many gorgeous apples we got!
We brought them inside and got busy!
We held a little contest. He wanted to peel them with our wind-up apple peeler.
I saw a neat video how a person peeled several apples in one minute using a drill. Well, I can tell you right now that it looks easier on the video than in real life! It probably does work if you have the correct type of peeler, ours didn't work very well at all, so needless to say, the drill went back out to Eric's workshop.
We went back to the apple peeler and it worked great.
It's pretty simple to do and you can probably peel two apples in a minute. Not bad!
We saved all the scraps for a treat for our cows!
We had a pretty good assembly line going. He peeled, I cored/quartered, then we switched jobs.
Once we got a bowl full of quarters, I started removing any pieces of core that were left.
Beautiful!
The next step was to cut into small pieces.
We use the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.
You put the apples in a pan with about a cup of water and cook them down very slowly so they don't burn.
You add 1/2 cup of brown sugar and......
.......two teaspoons of cinnamon.
Keep watching and stirring until they start breaking down. Use a masher to work them further to get the consistency you like. We like it chunky!
Once its to the consistency you like, you let it cool a bit.
Then you spoon it into freezer containers.
We made several 1-1/2 pints and a couple of quarts. We have learned from past experience that the applesauce does expand in the freezer, so we left a little room at the top of the containers.
 We let them sit on the counter for several hours before putting the lids on and freezing. I love the feeling after preparing foods when the kitchen is clean and my hard work is sitting on the counter. It was such a fun day with my husband too!
Now they are in the freezer waiting for us! This sure feels good!
We had apples left over, so I decided to try and make apple liqueur. We made plum and raspberry liqueur this year and had left over gin, so I thought I would give it a try. I filled the jars with apples, poured 1-1/3 cup of gin over them and added 1-1/3 cup of brown sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon.
I will put them in the pantry and keep them there for a few months, turning them once a week. I sure hope this turns out, it sounds delicious!
Oh, and one more thing that I did with the apples, I made this pretty centerpiece! My friend, Shannon, gave me the neat tiered stand for my birthday and I filled it with apples and hydrangeas.

"Keep me as the apple of Your eye; hide me under the shadow of Your wings." Psalm 17:8


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never frozen applesauce. We've always used a hot water bath. Might have to give that a try...but then again....we've probably done the hot water bath process because our freezer space is a hot commodity :) Your farm looks like a lot of fun!

Shan said...

What a great post! We have a couple of apple trees on our little homestead and we make applesauce and apple butter. I am going to have to try the apple liqueur....sounds delish!

Thanks for always posting such lovely pictures and thoughts.

Kindredly
Shan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...