This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Saying goodbye to my childhood home.....

In June of 2015 my sisters and I moved my parents from their lovely home they lived in for 51 years. This was the house I grew up in. It was a lovely home full of memories and it was sad to see her go. Click here to read the stories that led up to this day.
My parent's now live in an assisted living facility and are doing okay. It's quite an adjustment for them, and both of them have health issues. The good news is they are in a safe place and they are together.
This is a picture of my siblings and I in front of our home right after it was built and we moved in; it was August of 1964 and I was almost 3 years old. You can see that the yard is not even in yet. It still has the same shutters and walkway posts. I believe we were heading to church, aren't our dresses adorable! The foundation of our home was Jesus Christ. God reigned in this home.
The last time my father was in the home he was taken away by ambulance, had emergency brain surgery, stayed in a nursing home for 6 weeks and then moved into the assisted living facility. He had not been back to his lifetime home since. He was not there for any of the big move and we knew it was really important for him to see it one more time before it sold. We knew it was important for both our parents, and for us girls as well ,to say goodbye to this wonderful home.
God is so good to us, the way He worked out the details was just amazing. I was off on a Wednesday and was not watching my grandson; this was my only opportunity to take my parents over to see their old home one more time. I made the arrangements to pick them up and I called my sisters and told them what I was doing and asked if they would like to join us. I was so very happy that both of them were able to join us as well as some of their kids.
Daddy looking into the living room one last time.
 We had many fun times around this fireplace.
The wood panelling and fireplace mantle and shelves were originally stained dark. In the late 80s they painted it white. Here's a picture of my siblings and I heading to church at Christmastime in 1967.
 My parents took such good care of everything they owned. This is the original brass fireplace screen with a beautiful brass pull system.
 When I was a little girl these handles fascinated me.
The kitchen is practically a time capsule with it's original floor, cabinets, counters, stove, sink and wallpaper.
Here's a picture of Mama with us at breakfast time in summer of '64. The counters, cabinets, floor and wallpaper have not changed a bit.
My mother and father decorated the house in Early American style and this wallpaper was really in style in the day.
When I was a child I would look at the wallpaper and was always curious about what was inside the little pink box. I still don't know!
The floor was a very popular pattern in the 60's as well.
It's kind of a brick pattern. My parents used to professionally wax it with a home system they bought. My mother used a dust mop to sweep, a bristled broom was never used the entire 51 years they lived there. I think that must be why it was still in such great condition.
Source
I found this photo of the same floor on Pinterest. It's made by Armstrong pattern #5352. It's an embossed inlaid linoleum and was one of their most popular patterns.
I was getting very sentimental and even took pictures of things like the old thermostats. We had these in every room. The house had ceiling heat and got toasty warm, but the electric bill was high.
Mama teared up when she saw her precious kitchen. It was very sad. It was sad for all of us, but we also accepted it. It was time.
She prepared so many wonderful meals at this old stove.
Notice the awesome push buttons to control the stove elements.
How many mornings did I wake up when I was a little girl and see my Mama in front of the kitchen sink like this? Probably hundreds of times.
The house still has the original sink. I love the little scalloped detail above the sink.
This was so bittersweet.
We bought our favorite food, Taco Time, to eat for lunch. When we were kids we had this every Saturday night.
I set it on the counter just like my Daddy did all those years ago. Such great memories!
We went down the hall where the bedrooms and bathrooms were.
Mama looking in her old bedroom.
Their powder room still has the original turquoise toilet and sink.
The stripped wallpaper is from the 60's as well.
This is the original light fixture. I love the leaves draped across the front.
In the 70s my Daddy installed the shutters.
The shower has the original tiles.
There are random raised tiles with a green pattern on them.
The shower light fixture is original and so cool.
This was my old bedroom that I shared with Kathi. In the mid-70s we got the new green carpet and wallpaper, walls and drapes. I always loved that wallpaper!
The main powder room is blue and most of it is original from 1964, but in the mid 70s they got new wallpaper, floor and light fixtures. The bathroom still had it's original blue tub, tile, sink and toilet with the faux marble counter tops.
My parents were meticulous about taking care of things. Every time we took a bath or shower we had to dry all the tiles with a towel so that mildew would not grow. It's amazing what great shape it is in after 51 years!
 I opened the drawer in the powder room and went down memory lane when I saw all of the graffiti us four kids left on this side of this drawer. It documented the highs and lows of our teenage years here.
This was a very emotional time for our parents, but they understand why they need to move. At least they are still together and have us girls, our husbands and all of their grand kids.
This little space was an afterthought when the house was being built. My mother had the idea to put a small play room above the garage and it was quickly added to the home. The space opposite the stairs was intended to be a laundry room, but my parents decided to put the washer and dryer in the garage and it became a sewing room.
This room was so nice for us kids to play and then eventually it became a TV room.
The floor is composition and still in great shape. This is the same floor that is in the entryway and hallways and actually under the carpet in all the bedrooms.
source
I found this old ad on Pinterest showing my parents floor! It's called Azrock and this pattern is Cork Hues. Check out the lady's cute outfit!
Next we took a peek out in the garage. I love the wood paneling. Daddy painted the orange walls with yellow trim around the washer and dryer for our mother.
Oh the memories this place holds. When we were little Daddy would light up the antique wood stove and we would play in here on rainy days.
My Dad had a wonderful workbench where he could fix just about anything. He was a master at woodworking and created many things such as benches, boxes, shelves, etc. He also was a great mechanic and worked on many cars in this garage.
Mom did so thousands of loads of laundry over the 51 years she lived here.
After Daddy retired he built this little shop in the back yard.
He wanted to see it one more time.
He did a lot of his hobbies out here while listening to his old country western and gospel music that he had on cassette tapes. This was very sentimental to him.
We decided to eat our lunch out on the back deck (which Daddy made). Left to right, Mama, Kathi, Kelli, Sharon and Daddy.
I'm so glad some of the grand kids got to come along. Left to right, Mama, Joseph, Victoria, Jessica, Garrett and Daddy.
Mmmm! My soft taco is delicious and brings back so many memories.
Daddy always loved going out on the deck and soaking in a little sunshine.
My father loved yard work and kept their place immaculate. Their backyard was a sanctuary.
We walked around and shared our memories.
My father made the split rail fence many years ago from logs he gathered in the woods where he grew up. They were hand hewn by him and his father.
He cultivated roses so beautifully and always brought cuttings into the house for his bride.
The fir trees are so majestic!
Daddy made this basketball hoop for us kids. Many fun games were played here. Well, our time here has come to an end. It's time to leave and say farewell.
Oh, one last thing. I want to sign the bathroom drawer one more time.
"Good-bye wonderful house! Love, Sharon"
We all signed the drawer one last time.
It was hard to say goodbye, but it was time.
Good-bye beautiful, cozy, comfy house. Thank you for all of the wonderful memories. We love you.

As we drove away, I asked my Daddy how he was doing and what he was feeling. He said he was a little sad, but okay and that he had closure. This blessed my heart that we were able to do this for him.


"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,

 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,

 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,

 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,

 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,

 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. " Ecclesiastes 3:1-8


"He has made everything beautiful in it's time." Ecclesiastes 3:11a

1 comment:

Erin said...

Beautiful tribute to your childhood home. I love the time capsule kitchen. Am I the only one crazy enough to the think that a house has some sort of soul, and that your house was glad that you came back to say good bye?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...