This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I love my new workspace! I love my job!

About three weeks ago a manager from the suite I work in came to me and said they were hiring three people to answer phones for a command center for a huge new computer program the hospital is starting soon. They wanted to have the new operators sit at my big desk (pictured above), which actually is three work stations, but I've been the only one working there for 2 years. He said I could either stay where I'm at and they would have two of the operators sit next to me and the other would work at another desk, or they would have all three operators sit at my desk and I could move to the third word station, which is a cubical space in the back of the suite. I asked him if I could go look at the other spot he was talking about before I made my decision.
He took me to the back of the suite to this cute quiet little cubical with a window!
Hmm...let me think, sit at my current humongous desk where people are constantly walking by interrupting me and on top of that have two more people join me and I will hear their phones ring all day and hear them talking all day OR move to this nice little cozy spot near a huge window.
Not any window, but a window with a pretty view of an old historical fraternity house and....
...a classic study hall surrounded by pretty seasonal trees....
Ummmm, it's kind of a toss up, but I think I'll take it!
Ha, ha, no, I didn't hesitate at all, I jumped at the chance!
God is so good. About three months ago I actually started praying that I could move to a different work station. I am so thankful for my job, but I really didn't like sitting in this huge, public space with lots of traffic and interruptions.  They just recently moved a security office to the the right of my desk and they have a lot of people coming and going for appointments. There were lots of distractions and it was just getting more and more difficult for me to concentrate, so I prayed about it. I believe God answered my prayer!
About two weeks ago, they moved my computer and phone and I moved all of my office possessions to my new spot. Come along with me and I'll show you how to get there. I walk past my old desk and go through the door.
Then I turn right and walk by a couple of cubicles....
...and there to the right you can see my new little spot.
Cubical, sweet cubical!
I am so happy here!
I moved all my favorite things here.
I feel so comfortable.
Now my plants get real sunshine instead of just fluorescent lighting!
Now I can tell when it's raining or....
...when it's sunny out!
I just LOVE my new space! It's so nice and quiet and I am getting so much more work done! One of my concerns about moving to this quiet corner was that I would be too isolated, as I am a people person, but it has not been an issue at all. Only a few people actually walk by my desk randomly, but several people come to find me to talk to me about business and I also walk through the suite when I have to use the copier or go to the lunch room to get coffee. Also, my boss just moved into the corner office right next to me, so I will see her quite often and also the rest of our team who will be coming in to see her.
I feel so happy.
I'm so happy not just because of my new work space...
...but because I am really, really enjoying my job. I feel like I have been on a bit of a journey with my job satisfaction level and I feel like it's been a journey of trust and growth in the Lord.
I only work 20 hours a week (two 8 hour days and one 4 hour day), but I have a career. It took awhile to carve out my niche, but it's definitely carved! They have given me more and more responsibilities with the kind of work I really enjoy.
I am an administrative assistant and that is truly what I have wanted to be since I was a little girl.
I used to play secretary when I was little with a toy phone and toy typewriter.
Sadly, I never went to college. Right after I graduated from high school I got a job in retail as a sales girl in a department store. I actually did quite well there. I was quickly promoted to a department head, then a department manager and then I worked my way into the human resource office. I loved that job, but I also loved being married and having babies. Although I worked part time, when I had my third baby, my husband and I decided I would stay home and we later had one more baby. Being a stay at home mom was the best career I've EVER had!!!
When our youngest son was 5, I took a correspondence course and I started working at home as a medical transcriptionist. I did that for several years and then decided it was time to get back out there and I got my job at the hospital. I had good positions, but I always dealt with the public which sometimes can be difficult and a few times I unfortunately worked with women who were not so nice. It seems like for one reason or another, I was never quite satisfied until I got the position I have now.
Now I work with such nice people and do work that is very fun and rewarding. I use my brain and figure things out, I do a little bit of everything with paperwork, typing, spread sheets, planning meetings, etc. I love it. The team I work for really appreciates me and often times they tell me I'm "awesome" or "amazing" and they are so thankful for how hard I work. It really feels good to be appreciated like that.
I feel like God heard my prayers and blessed me with this job that is just perfect for me. And now that I have this really great work space, it's even more perfect!
Ooops, I better go, my conference call is starting in just a couple of minutes!

I hope that you are working at a job that you love and is very rewarding and satisfying. I'd love to hear about what you do. :)

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." I Peter 5:7

2 comments:

Sue said...

Sharon you are a true example of how hard work, and dedication to not only God but your job pays off! Congratulations! a job well done! Your office looks so peaceful and a wonderful place to work! I am like you preferring quiet places to work, with very little distractions!
Enjoy your blessings,
Sue

Jim and Sandy Bertrand said...

Sharon, I was thrilled last night to find that you had come back to posting on your blog. I have missed you. I fully understand what you were going through and so glad that things are going better for you. It was nice to get caught up with your family and your grandson is so cute and growing fast. The farm is looking good and you have done so much since you last posted. You are blessed to be in an area that is peaceful and quiet. We live close to a large city in Washington state and so many people and they just keep coming. We are retired and limited to where we could go and our grandchildren live close by. God's blessings to you and your family. Hugs, Sandy Bertrand

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...