This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Our new guest room....

 The last time I talked about our new spare room, this is the last photo I showed you.
And this is what it looks like today. Before I show you the whole reveal, let's backtrack a little bit first, shall we?
It all started when our youngest son moved out last September and left us with an empty nest. This is what his room looked like before he moved out. Click here to read the full story.
 And this is what it looked like empty. My blank canvas!
 The first thing I did was give it a really good cleaning! Hayden slept with our dog and at least one if not both of our kitties every night. While he did clean and vacuum the room before he moved out, I vacuumed thoroughly and the canister was this full three times! On the fourth time it was finally clear. There was tons of dog hair from our yellow lab who sheds a ton! Yuck! I then shampooed the carpets and touched up the paint on the walls.
 I got this antique bed from my parents house. It was the bed my mother slept in as a child. She was born in 1937, but the bed could be older than that. I have always loved it and was thrilled when my sisters said that I could have it.
 The next thing I did was move in the other pieces of furniture and hung drapes and then started adding all the accessories.
 This is what it looks like now!
 Every time I walk by I love it!
I am on the hunt for bedding similar to this.......
.....this.....
...this...
...or this.
But for now, I have this. It's just a mish-mash of things I owned plus some 2nd hand pieces that I threw together. I really don't want to spend a lot, so I will just keep looking and someday it will all come together. I found the white and black bed skirt for $1.99 and the navy and red check bed skirt for $4.99. I would rather pay those prices for now so it looks cute and just keep looking.
My cute little hooked doggy pillow sits perfectly here!
 I put my french lingerie cabinet on this wall.
Some day I'm going to paint the drawers black like this!
 I found the drapes at a thrift store for $7.99 and I love them.
 I already had the cute lamp, but glued black and white checkered trim and the pom-poms on to add a little flare. I painted the rooster black and shabbied him up.
 This very old clock was from my parents house. It was really frightening because when I plugged it in it started smoking and the wire started to catch fire! I was so thankful I was there and was able to turn the power off and unplug it. It really scares me to think my folks had this plugged in the whole time at their home up until this past June when we moved them. I believe God protected them from a house fire! After that I cut the cord off and it's just for looks now.
 I was so thrilled when I found this amazing antique doll house at a garage sale last summer.
 I have wanted one of these for a very long time.
 It is beat up and needs lots of work, but it will be a labor of love for me!

 The sweet little old lady I bought it from said she used to play with it. I found it on the internet and it's from the 1930s and made by the Rich Company; the design is called Keystone. The lady said that it had gotten damaged at some point and she repaired it, but did not restore it. The only original flooring left in it is the bathroom. The house also came with this furniture and I've added some of my own. My little grandson loves playing with it. Some day I am going to restore it and put new flooring and wallpaper in it.
 This darling play table and chairs was another fun find from the summer. It too is very old.
 I love the colors and the darling Windsor chairs.
 The top of the table is metal and has this amazing graphic design on top. I am going to attempt to protect it by painting a clear gloss varnish on top. I want all of my grand kids to use it without worry that it will ruin this design.
 I put little side tables on both sides of the bed. Here's the left side.
 I hung this fabulous needlepoint above the bed. I found it at a thrift store for $7.99.
 It is fantastic and has lots of wonderful aged water stains on it. My husband is going to make a big black wood frame for it that I will probably distress.
 I hung some cool old trays on this side of the window.
 I was so excited to finally hang these wonderful old Mr. and Mrs. embroidered pieces.
 More stitchings of cute little trains. I am on the hunt for pictures that I like better to go in the larger frames. I bought them at a thrift store because I loved the stripped mats in them.
 Here's the little table on the right side of the bed.
 Again, I fancied up the lampshade by adding fringe, black and white checkered ribbon and some flowers.
 I love this darling little Asian couple. They are made of soap stone.
 I have had this little pillow for many years and it's one of my favorite things.
 This corner has some old framed prints.
 I placed some antique suitcases at the end of the bed.
 This chair is very special to me. It belonged to my Daddy and he always had it right next to his wood stove in the garage. He would often times sit in it and read his Bible next to the fire.
I found this little cabinet at a garage sale for $3.00! It's an old wine cabinet. You can see from the picture, but it has little doors that should have glass, but the glass is gone. I am going to add chicken wire or screening instead of glass and will paint the whole piece black. Above the cabinet you can see that I've hung some of my collection of silhouette pieces and some chalk-ware and metal wall hangings with sayings on them.
 I still need to find a spot in here for my silhouette pictures.
 This is a very old glass light globe. I love it!
 Behind the door I hung this wonderful old photo of my grandfather Irving when he was a boy with his little sister, Genevieve.
Well, that's the end of the room tour. I hoped you enjoyed it.

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

1 comment:

Erin said...

My goodness...you have such a knack for pulling things together. That is such a welcoming guest room. I love all the old touches, especially the dollhouse. Darling!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...