This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Cutting firewood

Early one January morning, Eric, his father and I headed up into the mountains to cut firewood. It was a cold and wet morning.
We arranged to meet our son, Cameron, and his wife, Megan, at a school and they were going to follow us up into the mountains. While we were waiting we saw two eagles circling around. I always get so excited when I see eagles because it's rare to see them and they are so majestic!
We drove and drove until we got into the woods.
My husband is a timber faller and this is a unit he was working on. He has a key to the gate.
We drove to the top of the mountain and it was breathtaking!
Cameron and Megan were right behind us.
Grandpa Jim is teasing Cameron and Megan saying how he almost couldn't make it because he had a broken leg.
The rain stopped when we got up there!
They are such a cute couple!
When the loggers logged the unit, they set aside logs that were not up to the mill's standards and the guys can use them for firewood. Eric first measured and marked them off.
Then he cut them into big chunks.
Then Cameron split the log pieces into firewood with a maul. I am so amazed by his strength!
Jim, Megan and I stacked the wood in the back of the truck, we have a long way to go!
It's hard work, but we made it fun.
It's very hard work for Cameron. He had the toughest job, but he did amazing.
We finally filled our truck!
I'd say it's time for a coffee break!
I love this picture of my husband and father-in-law.
It reminds me of these old pictures of my father, his brother and their father when they got a big load of firewood back in 1964.
Now it's time to fill Cameron and Megan's truck. We are all happy that the bed is much smaller!
We were so happy that the rain held off while we worked!
My 80 year old father-in-law amazes me with how strong and agile he is!
We spoke too soon, right as we were finishing Cameron and Megan's truck, it started raining!
Then it started storming and we witnessed the most AMAZING thing! The wind blew through at 80 miles an hour and it rushed through the little valley below us where the tree line is. All the sudden we heard the loudest crack and I thought it was lightening. I got scared. My husband said, nope, it's not lightening, the wind blew a tree over! Then all the sudden we heard crack, crack, crack and we saw about a dozen trees blow over. It was truly amazing! My husband has worked in the woods for over 30 years and he has only witnessed this a couple of times. I feel that it was a beautiful gift from God!
Praise God we were all done getting our firewood and we jumped in our rigs and raced down the mountain. It was like a war zone with trees blowing all around us and branches falling down. At one point there was a log in the road and Cameron got out and moved it. I was thankful we got out of there safe!
Then we came home and unloaded it all in our barn. It will stay in this pile to dry and then in the summer we will move it all into our woodshed.

I am so thankful that we have the ability to get firewood and that we had such a fun day getting it!

"Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy." Psalm 96:12

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...