This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Friday, October 23, 2015

Saying so long to the garden for the year....

We have had the most amazing garden this year. It has been a real treat to have it and a real labor of love for both my husband and I. It was really sad when in September I realized we were harvesting our crops and the garden was getting "done" for the year.
The tomatoes are still producing, but you can see that the plants are all sprawled out and some of the leaves are dying.
The leaves are turning on our precious little tree that we started from a favorite tree at our old house.

The artichokes went to seed.
I love my garden and I'm sad to see it dying off.
The beans over-grew and got too large and hard.
The corn is done producing and all withered.
It's time to dig up the corn patch.
It makes me a little sad to do this.
The zucchini is deteriorating.
The pumpkin plants are dying off, but we got some beauties!
We picked the pumpkins, remaining zucchini and gourds and ripped up all of the plants.
My hubby rototilled the area and it looks so empty now.
We are very pleased with our crop!
The sunflowers don't look so happy anymore. They look wilted and kind of depressed. They were once so bright and perky, but they served a great purpose of bringing beauty to our garden and feeding the birds with their seeds!
However, the berries are doing awesome!
We are happily surprised that they are producing fruit this first year!
The zinnias we planted around the outside of the garden are gorgeous with their vibrant colors!
We are going to plant more of these next year. They are so pretty and the deer don't eat them!
We cleaned up this whole area.
We gave the goats a bunch of the old plants. They were in heaven!
The rest went into the compost pile. My husband made this little bin out of old wood pallets.
Wow, the compost pile is really working. I took this picture 11 days after the one above, look how much it's already compacted and it's starting to break down!
I am saving the corn for my fall decorating on the porch.
I think it's pretty.
Actually, our garden is not quite through growing this year, my husband purchased some winter crops. We have broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce.
Look how well the new plants are growing! I took these pictures just 12 days apart, the first photo was taken September 19th and this one October 1st!
It's kind of sad to walk into the garden now.
The tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers are no longer here to greet us.
The onions, beans, pumpkins and corn are long gone.
But, we still have our berries, artichoke plants and our winter crops! And it does feel really good to get it all cleaned up for winter.
Good night for the winter sweet garden. You have been good to us! We will replant you next spring!

"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under the heaven. A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest." Ecclesiastes 3:1-2

Hugs, Sharon

1 comment:

Farrah said...

You could do a few winter plants, if you would like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...