This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Friday, May 15, 2015

Maryland!

 I've been meaning to post about our little trip to Maryland for some time now and finally I'm doing it! In April my husband, Eric, and I took his father, Jim, back east to visit Eric's brother, Mark, and his family.
They had us packed in there like sausages.
 We are not travelers, this is only the second time my husband and I have gone on a big trip like this. The first time was about 25 years ago before all of the security crack downs, so I was really nervous about getting through security check and all the way through the airport to make our connecting flights, especially with my 80 year old father-in-law. So while I was excited to see the family and the sights, I was a little anxious.
 We made it! We flew into Baltimore where my brother-in-law picked us up. Our flights were uneventful and we made our connecting flights just fine! My father-in-law did awesome!
 That night we had a lovely family dinner and we celebrated Jim's 80th birthday! Mark and Barbara have three children, but their oldest daughter Jillian was abroad and their son, Nick, was at college. Their youngest child, Michaela was home though and it was great to see her. Their home is absolutely gorgeous and it was so much fun to catch up with Barbara!
 The next day we took a little trip south to Annapolis and saw a ship museum, did a little shopping and had lunch.
 That night after dinner we had a fun relaxing time. Barbara and I talked and the guys watched Gettysburg to learn more about the Civil War because the next day we were going to Gettysburg National Park in Pennsylvania.
 The drive was fantastic, there's so much beautiful land to look at. We stopped and ate lunch at this amazing old restaurant called The Dobbin House. It's the oldest building in Gettysburg. It originally served as a home for the Dobbin family. It is believed to have been the first station of the Underground Railroad. It served as a field hospital for both Union and Confederate casualties even though it was in range of the war and was frequently struck by shellfire! We ate in the tavern in the basement and it was so cozy, fun and delicious!
 As we headed up to the Gettysburg museum, we saw these cross fences everywhere. They are so interesting. The museum was amazing. We saw the huge Gettysburg diorama which was an excellent overview of the battlefield.
 We climbed to the top of the Pennsylvania State Memorial and saw an amazing view of land where the battle took place. We learned so much an really enjoyed our time at Gettysburg.
 When we got home Barbara had dinner for us! We had delicious enchiladas.
 The next day we all got in the car and drove to the Amish country in Pennsylvania. The farms were incredible.
 We went to a cute little town called Bird in Hand, PA.
 Everything was so cute. We went to a fantastic market and antique stores. We saw horse and buggies everywhere we looked! I found some wonderful treasures.
 We had lunch in Lancaster and a really neat restaurant called Plain and Fancy. I ordered made from scratch golden fried chicken with shoepeg corn and corn fritters and Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer which is very similar to root beer. It was delicious!
 We continued to drive through the beautiful countryside.
 Our next destination was Philadelphia.
We booked a walking tour in the Old City. Our tour guide was really enthusiastic and knowledgeable. We saw many, many great things. We started the tour with the home of Betsy Ross. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go inside, but it was fun to see it.
 We went down the oldest road in the city made of cobblestone and had so many charming apartments.
 Then we toured Christ's Church and we sat in the very pew where George Washington and his family once sat! This church is so beautiful and is a great example of Georgian Colonial architecture. All of the churches was saw had cemeteries in their courtyards and Christ's Church actually had people buried in the floor of the sanctuary!
 We then saw Independence Hall, which was so beautiful. All of the buildings were so impressive and the amazing thing is how new they look, yet they are all over 250 years old! Unfortunately, we did not go inside. We did, however, see the Liberty Bell, but it was through a window. The line to see it was crazy long.
We were so moved to be standing on the very ground where our forefathers once walked and where they founded our country.
 We saw the beautiful tomb of the Unknown Revolutionary Ward Soldier with an eternal flame.
 Of course we had to have a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich while in Philly!
The next day the whole family went to church and then we just had a nice quiet relaxing afternoon at home. This was one of my favorite moments of the whole trip!!!
God is so good and I believed He knew that I needed this get away exactly when it came along. We had planned this back in October of 2014 for April of 2015 and it so happens that's when my son's divorce was final and my daughter-in-law decided to post it on Facebook and then I did. I posted it Tuesday evening and on Wednesday morning we left our house at 5:00 am and got on the plane. My mind was preoccupied with the trip and it was just exactly what I needed. God is so good!
That night we had a fun family dinner and relaxing evening. We needed to get to bed early because the next day we headed to New York City!!!

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Heartfelt living said...

Hi Sharon, looks like a wonderful trip! Getting away helps the mind, body and spirit. 😊 I have been reading your blog for years and I always look forward to your post. I live very close to Hershey Pa... Just about 40 minutes from Gettysburg and 40 minutes from Lancaster! I'm so happy you had the opportunity to tour my neck of the woods but next visit you have to visit Hershey! We have the best chocolate here... Hehe! 😉 Looking forward to see what adventures you had in New York City! Have a blessed day and thank you for sharing your fun get away!

Heartfelt living said...

Sharon I no longer blog here but still enjoy reading others blogs... You can find me and many other bloggers on Instagram including Sugarpie Farm ( if you follow her) and a lot of the ladies are now doing an app called Periscope, where they do live broadcast. It's so much fun... If you are interested... Please check it out and join in the fun! I am Bunny_hill_cottage on both Instagram and Periscope. I would love to see some of your decorating photos on Instagram! Warm hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...