This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Ice cream hack

 I had a good idea and I wanted to share it with ya'll. We recently had our son's wedding rehearsal dinner at our home out in the barn (click here to see the pictures) and I wanted everything just so. I wanted it to have an old fashioned feel and we ate out of pie tins, drank from mason jars and used bandannas for napkins. We used speckled blue enamelware for the serving dishes. I encounter a problem when I we decided to have blueberry cobbler for dessert, which was served in the enamelware, but we wanted to top it with vanilla ice cream. I purchased ice cream and was trying to figure out a way to serve it in something cuter than the container it came in.
 I wanted something that looked rustic, but that would also freeze well and would seal up nicely. Then I thought, "What about a coffee can?"
 I peeled the label off and it's perfect!
 So now, how do I get the ice cream out of it's container?
 I just cut the cardboard on the seam and...
 ...pulled it off!
 That's a big chunk of ice cream!
 I put it in the clean coffee can and it fit perfectly. Well, it's not a perfect fit, there's room around the edges, but that shouldn't matter.
 It looks so much better than the original packaging!
 I snapped the lid back on.
 I put it in the freezer where it stayed until our party.
 I placed the coffee can in a cute galvanized pan full of ice and used an antique spoon to serve it.
 So instead of seeing this....
...our guests saw this! I think it's so much cuter and it was easy and free!

"Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy name!" Psalm 103:1

Hugs, Sharon

5 comments:

Kathi said...

Sharon, This is a great idea. I love it. Thank you for suggesting it. I now want to look for metal coffee cans and save them. Love, Kathi p.s. I miss you so much.

Molly Moore said...

Oh Sharon, that's a great idea! I've never heard of that brand of ice cream before-but it looks yummy!!!
Molly

Rue said...

That's a super cute idea, Sharon!

Love your Back to School decor too.

xo,
rue

Mardell said...

Leave it to you to come up with something ingenious! (Did I spell that right? LOL) You're so clever, Sharon. Metal coffee cans are hard to find these days. Most are plastic or cardboard. I bet everybody thought it was great!

Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments!

@ Kathi, I miss you too!

@ Mollie, that is an Oregon ice cream and it's delicious!!!

@ Rue, thank you! :)

@ Mardell, it's funny how things like metal cans and mayonnaise and peanut butter jars are disappearing. Sad too, plastic is not healthy for us or the environment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...