This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Getting the barn ready for the rehearsal dinner!

I am so delighted that I get to decorate our barn again for our wedding rehearsal dinner Friday night!
My son, Grayson, and his fiancee, Rachelle, are getting married on Saturday!!! We are so excited and so happy for them!
 Because we did this last year for our son, Cameron and his bride, Megan, it wasn't as daunting as it was before (click here to see the actual dinner and here for more details). We repaired and painted the barn last year and really haven't done much with it since. It was a storing house for our hay and extra boards and what-nots.
We actually were storing this huge homemade bar that the kids are using for their wedding. Grayson came and picked it up last week and took it to Rachelle's parents house where the wedding will be held. They live on 7 acres and it is going to be FANTASTIC! They all have been working so hard on it and I can't wait to see it.

We made some headway on the barn, but now I'm switching gears and am going to do some painting.
 These are some of the items I will be painting for the party.
Even though we are throwing basically the same party as we threw for Cameron and Megan (at the request of Grayson and Rachelle), I wanted to change it up a bit so I decided to add in this beautiful turquoise color.
I found these two oak chairs at a garage sale for $5.00 each.
I am loving the color!
I was so happy to see the embossed pattern highlighted after lightly painting it. I purposely left it this way.
These will be perfect Bride and Groom chairs!
I am quite happy with the way all of these pieces turned out!
These items are next on the list. Here's the before....
...and here's the after.
This desk was in the donate to Goodwill pile and at the last minute I decided to keep it and paint it turquoise. I think this will work nicely to hold the dessert plates!
I rescued this piece from an old rabbit hutch that was heading for the burn pile. I thought it would make a cute sign and the the rusty hinges and latch would add character and charm. I'm not quite sure what I want to paint on it yet though.
This awesome old electrical spool was found on our property and my hubby thought it was trash. I salvaged it and rolled it out of the burn pile thinking it would be perfect for something someday and today's the day! I decided to just paint the center of the spool turquoise and leave the rest natural. I am going to stencil something fun on the top.
The creative juices are starting to flow! I'm found this light fixture at a thrift store for $12.00 and I'm going to be using blue canning jars for accessories.
I got all of my blue spotted enamelware pots and pans out of the pump house where I was storing them and set them on the chairs on the deck as I was working. Every time I walked by I thought it looked kind of artful and decided to snap a picture. Do you ever do that?

Last year I purchased 35 pie tins at secondhand stores and blue enamelware pots and pans, as well as red bandannas from the dollar store (to be used as napkins). I saved them all and stored them for any future farmy parties we might have. I am so glad I did, because we used them for my grandson's birthday party and now we are using them again for the rehearsal dinner and I'm sure there will be more  parties to come!
My husband and father-in-law helped a ton by getting the big boards out of the barn.
We don't use a lot of hay for our goats, so we still had quite a bit left over from last year. We just need to purchase a few more bales.
The barn was actually pretty clean, just some dried leaves that blew in.
And of course Charlotte and her babies left webs in every corner!
This wasn't nearly as hard as the work we needed to do last year!
The next thing we did was arrange the bales of hay and my hubby laid down big boards for the top. He laid long fencing boards underneath and put a few screws in to secure it. We are anticipating 33 people and we have just enough seats to hold everyone!
Eric helped me hang the lights.
I mentioned that I wanted to change things up a bit for Grayson and Rachelle and not have it identical to Cameron and Megan's party. For C&Ms party I used quilts to cover the hay bales for G&R I am using these burlap coffee bean sacks. I found them at a garage sale last fall for only $1.00 a piece!
I love how the turquoise chairs look in here already!
The desk looks cool too!
I was so happy to find three quilts in my quilt collection that have the pop of turquoise in them. I decided that I really like the touches of yellow as well.
I found these old cowboy boots at my mother's house when we cleaned it out. They were too small for my sister's and I and the inside lining was falling apart. I decided to paint them for the party! I am going to put jars inside and use them as vases. I am painting that old paper-mache bunny too.
I wanted to make sure my color scheme was coming together nicely and that the red bandanna napkins would coordinate with the quilts and not be too busy. I am loving how it looks. It's interesting how the red in the quilts really pops next to the bandannas.
Last year my hubby made me a wonderful centerpiece box made from old fence boards. It is chippy and fantastic, but I am currently using it on our big farm table in the house and didn't want to tear apart the display, so he said he could make me a new one! I am going to paint it yellow, then turquoise or vice-versa and sand it down so both colors will be revealed. He's actually planning on making it tonight. To help me visualize it, I laid this turquoise board down. We have an over abundance of lemon cucumbers growing in the garden, so I will use them in my centerpiece as well. The yellow is a perfect accent color!
I have many things to do yet, so I better get going! This is a true labor of love for me and I can't wait!
I am starting to get a little emotional and teary-eyed though remembering my precious little Grayson boy. Oh my goodness, what a cutie pie! Where did the time go? He has been such a delightful child and has now grown into such an amazing man and will be a wonderful husband to his beautiful bride.
I am so thrilled that these two are getting hitched!


"The the Lord God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make a helper fit for him." Genesis 2:18


Hugs, Sharon

4 comments:

Heartfelt living said...

How exciting! I remember you posting about your son's wedding last year, The barn was absolutely adorable! I'm sure you'll do a great job once again. Loving the turquoise color! Congratulations to everyone and looking forward to seeing the finished project. Wishing the new couple a wonderful and blessed life together.

gin said...

Congratulations to the cute couple.

sue from Albany ny said...

Sharon, I love the use of the barn for their dinner. My daughter is planning an outdoor country wedding at my sister in law's farm next September and I will surely be looking over your posts for some ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Mardell said...

Sharon,
Everything looks amaaaaazing. As I've always said, "you have THE knack for this stuff!" I forgot that the wedding is today. I hope everything went well. Your outfit was beautiful. Hope the weather cooperated, too.

My niece is getting married at my brothers house (your "twin") on Sept. 5th. She has the same cool thoughts & fun ideas like you do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...