This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

We finally named our little farm!

 
After living here for two years, we finally named our little farm....welcome to Blissful Acres! My husband and I have been pondering a name for our property since we moved in and we finally named it Blissful Acres Farm! I am very happy with our cute name and it is so appropriate because we feel that living in the country with our amazing view is simply bliss!
Photo courtesy Knick of Time
Last summer I came across this photo on Pinterest from a very cute blog called Knick of Time and knew that I wanted to use this idea for a sign out in front of our place with our farm name on it.
Last fall I found this bed-frame at a thrift store for only $5.00. I put it in our garden shed and that's where it has been ever since. I had intentions to make a sign for our place before we host the wedding rehearsal dinner at our home in August, but then....
....last Friday I spotted this wonderful old bed-frame at a yard sale and decided that it was much more interesting and ornate than the one I've been housing for almost a year. I paid $8.00 for both the headboard and foot board. We were hosting a family reunion on Sunday and it just pushed me into wanting to make the sign with our farm name on it. I will end up using the other bed-frame for another project.
That evening I started painting the backside of it. I love it when I get a spark of creative energy and roll up my sleeves and just jump in!
Oh, in case I haven't mentioned it before, this is a wonderful trick! If you are going to be painting a second coat of paint in the next day or so, there is no need to wash your brush in-between coats. You simply put it in a plastic bag and put it in the shade. It will keep the paint wet for at least 24 hours if not longer.
The next morning I flipped the headboard and painted the front.
This has been the best thing for me.
Painting a project on a sunny Saturday morning in my PJ's with a cup of coffee is exactly what the doctor ordered.
You see, over the past month my life has been absolutely insane. I do not want to go into all of it right now, but in a nutshell, my father had emergency brain surgery, we found out my mother has dementia and cannot care for herself, we got medicaid approval and moved our parents from their home of 52 years to an assisted living facility, plus much more!
All the while I was still working 3 days a week and babysitting my grandson 2 days a week and was trying to keep up with our house and property. I was to the point of complete exhaustion. But, the Lord is good and He sustained me. He gave me strength, I felt His presence and He got me through. My sister, Kelli, was in Italy on a month long trip, so the job fell on me and my other sister, Kathi. I am so thankful for Kathi! She was my strength and encourager. We worked very, very hard, but we also had fun and got very close. I'm so thankful to God for both of my sisters!
I have been so busy taking care of others that it was so very nice for me to have a little morning to myself doing something creative that I love. After I painted it white, I painted the top and bottom panels black and then I had to get into the house and take my shower because we were leaving for a 2 hour drive to go to our family reunion for my husband's side of the family.
We still did not have a name for our farm, so this was good conversation for the 4 hour round trip! We got it narrowed down to a few choices like Paradise Oaks, Bountiful Blessing and Peaceful Acres and decided on Peaceful Acres. By the way, we had a lovely time at his family gathering.
Sunday morning I headed back out to the sunny spot in the backyard and started stenciling.
Again, this was so therapeutic for me! Creative, artistic work really feeds my soul!
I loved the flower pattern that Angie from Knick of Time painted on her sign, so I copied it the best I could.
It's looking pretty good!
Now it was time to paint "Peaceful Acres", but I just didn't feel good about it. It reminded me too much of a name for a cemetery.
I went inside and grabbed some breakfast and talked more about it with my husband.
That's when we came up with "Blissful Acres Farm"and we both really love the name!
It describes how we feel about this place perfectly! I didn't have time to antique the sign, but I think I will eventually sand it, stain it, beat it up and make more shabby. Now...where do we put it?
My husband was mowing the front field at the exact time I brought the sign out and he was in the process of moving our old antique tractor to the front west corner.
I thought, "Hey, the old tractor would be a perfect thing to lean the new sign against!" So I did just that!
It's perfect! A few hours later we had about 30 people over for our family reunion with my side of the family and this was a wonderful way to greet them as they turned into our driveway! So, yes, I had another crazy busy weekend, but this time it was all positive and relaxing with wonderful time spent with family and also wonderful time spent alone. I am thankful that the intense things are over and I am looking forward to doing more projects and enjoying the rest of summer, especially the big event with my son's wedding!

"Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the sustainer of my soul."

Hugs, Sharon


7 comments:

Sue said...

Sharon, This post made my heart sing!
Blessings,
Sue

Sherry said...

well now ...
blissful acres farm.
i love it.

Heartfelt living said...

It's a perfect name for your wonderful farm! I you enjoy your down time. :)

Donna said...

I love it , a perfect name ! Donna

Mardell said...

I love it, too!! It's perfect. Glad you changed the name...yes, the one before it did sound like a cemetery name. I might not have thought that until you pointed it out. Oh dear!

You did an amazing job on painting the sign. You lined those letters up perfectly! The headboard is so cool. Great job, Sharon. Getting creative can sure be a huge stress reliever. Esp. when you have a vision of what you want to accomplish. FOCUS!

Have a GREAT weekend.
Hugs from NY!

Barbara Beach said...

Looks great and very welcoming!

Erica said...

Oh how I would love to visit Bliss Acres Farm, have a cup of coffee and a chat with you. It would be............
blissful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...