This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

My sweet little cottage...

 I love my new little cottage that my husband made for me!
It started out with my small request of him building me a simple shed on the east side of our house to hold my front porch decorations. I was thinking perhaps a little 6'x6' shack.
I thought it would be simple like these two sheds he made, the one to the left is for garden equipment and the one on the right is the wood shed. My only request is that I wanted it to have an A frame roof line rather than this shed style roof as it would be seen from the road and I wanted it to be cute.
My husband and I were often times out on this side of the property discussing my new shed and contemplating design ideas.
One thing led to another and he ended up designing a new sidewalk and everything!
The rest of the house has a sidewalk around it, so now this completes it.
I assumed it would not have a true foundation, but just sit on gravel like the woodshed and garden shed, but he decided it should have a nice thick foundation.
He hired a friend who is a contractor to lay the cement (Mark). Eric framed up the sidewalk and helped Mark frame up the foundation. The little cottage will be 12'x16'.
The cement's all poured!
It looks really nice!
Once the cement dried Mark started framing up the house.
It's looking awesome!
I can really visualize it now!
The next step was putting the siding and roof up.
It's looking like a cottage!
And of course a door!
The next step is working on the interior.
We've had these cast off kitchen cabinets out in our barn for several months now. We actually got them from Eric's sister when she remodeled her kitchen. We were originally going to use them for our outdoor kitchen/barbecue area, but my husband decided to put them in my cottage!
Eric cut them to fit perfectly along the south wall. He attached a thick board across the top of them creating a nice workbench for me!
He was going to leave the walls with the studs exposed, but then he remembered he had a stack of white thin boards leftover from when he built his shop and said they would work perfect for my little shop. So now I actually have walls!
We purchased these used bricks to put along the front of the cottage so it will match our house.
I primed the wood where the bricks will go.
We decided to have the bricks go up about a third of the way. We will let this dry and sit a few days before we lay the bricks.
A well deserved break time!
While my husband and father-in-law, Jim, were installing the cabinets....
...I did small jobs such as spray painting the vents...
....and caulking all of the cracks.
Things are looking really great!
My husband is such a hard worker.
I am truly blessed.
Eric's father is a blessing too!
The cabinets are all in. Eric also built me shelves above the cabinets...
....under the window...
...and on the north wall. Now that it's complete inside, I am having second thoughts about just filling it with junk. I kind of want to make it all cute inside. But, I must stay focused and remember it's true purpose. He made these shelves big enough to hold those big plastic tubs, which will hold my decorations. I will, however, try to make the workbench area kinda cute. :)
Our friend, Matt, laid the brick for us and it turned out wonderful!
My sweet hubby painted random bricks yellow and white to match the brick on the house. I am going to rub some dirt or ashes on them to age them a bit. He made the cute shutters for all three windows.
Then he made a window flower box and painted it black to match the shutters.
On this day we had Eric's father helping us again and also our son, Hayden.
Eric's doing the finishing touches by planting cute yellow pansies in the window box.
They are so cheerful!
He also made a little flowerbed in front of the house and planted hydrangeas.
We're thankful for this helper!
It's all done and looks simply adorable! I feel very special. This is a true gift and act of love from my husband and I am so grateful.

Now, what shall I name it? I have a few ideas such as Cabbage Rose Cottage, Enchanted Cottage, Sunny Brook Farm Cottage and Hollyhock Cottage, but I haven't decided yet.

"And He said, "My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." Exodus 33:14

Hugs, Sharon

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE! What a sweet cottage Sharon! A lot of love went into it! You are very blessed, I am sure you already know that :)
So happy for you! Hope you will post more of it and how you use it. So sweet of your husband to plant the flowers - love is in the details!
God bless!

Barbara Beach said...

Love your darling cottage! What a lovely and loving gift your husband built for you ... and I can see you making it cute on the inside in no time. You and Eric, and all your helpers, have really transformed your farm and made it so warm and welcoming.
Many blessings!

Tanza said...

Hi Sharon,
This is the sweetest cottage ever !!!! I LoVe it !!! I can't wait to see pictures when you have it all filled up !!! I actually have a friend who had one of these built for all of her dishes .... YeS!! dishes ..... pretty neat stacks of dishes and glasses and cake plates ... you get it !!!! Everything can be seen, and yet, soo pretty and organized.....then she has a whole big crating table in the very middle ..... YOU will LOVE this, what an act of kindness and love from your sweet hubby !!!! It is just sooo charming ..... your shares always make me sooo happy !!! So glad all is well, and you are doing fun, exciting things my friend xoxo I really only do FB, soo much easier for me, I sure do miss blogging friends, but, so many are on there .... I stay caught up .... blessings and love xo

Cottonwood Tales said...

Love it ! Great job and beautiful !! How about Rose of Sharon Cottage?

God's Blessings,
Karen in Texas

Molly's Art Designs said...

Oh Sharon!!!
I love your little cottage!
Blessings-
Molly

Sara said...

When the grand babies begin to multiply and get older, it could be called Granny's "Camp Out Cottage"! I'm happy for you. Looks great.

A Romantic Porch said...

That is adorable. I'm thinking rose of Sharon cottage too!

Mardell said...

I love your cottage, Sharon. Oh my...it's so beautiful. I've read this post several times and just can't get over it! Absolutely LOVE everything that Eric and you have done to your home. I look forward to seeing the new projects as they develop. Blessings to you and your family in 2015.

xoxo
Mardell

Judy said...

How cute is that! I vote for Rose of Sharon Cottage too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...