This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Connecting with my inner artist....

 I want to sit down and paint.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time now and I finally did it!

My ultimate goal is to learn how to oil paint and I really want to paint old fashioned cabbage roses. Since we moved out to the country, I have also been wanting to paint rustic, folk-art type farm animals. This is my first attempt and although my cow is a little simplistic and looks like a kid painted it, I like him.
These guys are my inspiration. They are the friendly cows that live across the street from us and I see them on my morning walks.
I also found inspiration from pictures I found on the internet.
 I wanted to paint the background of my picture that the color of the bright green grass that I see in the fields where the neighboring cows live. I decided to pick a few weeds from the field that had the bright vivid color and use them to match my paint.
 This forest green looks pretty close.
 Yep, that looks like a pretty good match.
 I didn't buy a new canvas, I painted over an old picture that was in my pile to take to Goodwill.
I purposely added brush strokes to give it that oil painting feel. This green is a little too dark and mossy looking than what I had in mind, so I ended up mixing in some yellow and found the brighter green shade I wanted.
I have been going through a very sad time of mourning in my family (yes, partly the loss of my mother-in-law, but mainly the mourning of another type with one of my kids that has been the deepest kind of pain I have ever felt). Painting was such a wonderful cathartic release for me. God is so good to me. He gives me strength and joy. I am thankful that He put this creative spark inside me.
I started with the main body of my cow, I actually was very nervous! It was hard to get the proportions correct.
I forgot to take more in-between pictures, but here's my cow when he's almost done. I loved sitting at my farm table on a Saturday morning using my hands to create. It was really wonderful.
 He's looking pretty good, but he's too bright.
 To give it more of an aged look, I simply took a cotton ball and dabbed on some brown paint all over the picture.
 That looks better. He's all done! He's a silly cow, but he's enduring, don't ya think?
 I hung my creation out on the front porch.
I like him hanging out there greeting us when we come and go. I am excited to experiment and do more paintings of cows, chickens, goats, bunnies and other farm animals as well as learn how to paint the old fashioned cabbage roses!

My heart has been broken since July and some day I will share with you what has been going on. It has been horrible going through this journey, but God has been so faithful and He gives me strength, joy, peace and hope. It has been a real time of growth for me and I have gotten so close to the Lord. I know that He will work everything out to His good.

"God is with thee in all that thou doest." Genesis 21:22

Hugs, Sharon

9 comments:

Jan said...

What fun your painting is! I can see you smiling at it as you come and go. I'd like to suggest you check out One Stroke painting. I swear that method saved my sanity many years back when I was going through a rough time and I think her method of flower painting will be just what you are looking to do!

Hope this helps, will be praying for you!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Sharon, your cow is cute! I love to craft and create things as well. I think it is sort of therapeutic. I truly believe because we are made in His image that we too, create and even this comes from Him. He is the ultimate Creator!
As a mother, my heart just breaks for you as you mentioned the sadness about one of your kids. That is a deep pain only a mother knows when it comes to her child. I am praying for you and will continue to dear Sharon. God be near you.

Lord you have summoned ______ by name and he belongs to you. When he passes through the waters, be with him;when he passes through the rivers,do not let them sweep him away. When he walks through the fire, do not let him be burned. And when ______emerges from these trials, let him know that you are the Lord, that you are his God, that you are the Holy One of Israel, and that you are his Savior. Isaiah 43:1-3

elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this kind of pain. I pray that God will bring his healing into the situation.

Farrah said...

Very neat! I'm proud of you for learning AND doing.

Molly Moore said...

Oh Sharon-

I love your cow! I like to paint as well! You have a wonderful sense of color and style! Always remember that a praying Mother is very powerful!!!

Blessings-
Molly

Anonymous said...

Love your sweet cow's face. He sure looks content. Good job Sharon!
Mary

Mardell said...

Good morning Sharon,
I love your cow! You did such a wonderful job. Painting can be so relaxing. I haven't done it in years, but I remember very well. In HS, I loved oil paints. Mainly because it stayed "wet" longer, and the next day I could come back where I left off. Oh, and the smell. Yum. (LOL) Now your cow needs a name. Did you put a sealer over it since you hung it outside?

Sorry to hear about the family issues. I figured something was going on, and that's very sad. Hope you feel my hugs.

Have a good upcoming week. Will be thinking of you.

Keep up the good work, you talented artist!!

Erin said...

Wow! That is a great cow! I bet he makes you happy every time you see him.

Judy said...

Oh how cute is your cow and he looks great hanging there to greet everyone who comes to your door.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...