This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My beautiful Mother-in-love....

Alice and I at a very fun Mother's Day tea that she treated me to in 2010.
Just a few days after my last post about how we moved both my in-laws to our small town and that we were feeling good about getting them settled so we could see them both more often, my mother-in-law, Alice, took a turn for the worse. I went to see her and she would not wake up for me. I thought she was just napping so I left, but later that day I heard that my husband's cousin went to see her too and she wouldn't wake up for her either. I was so worried, so I went down to see her again that afternoon. She was up in her chair out with the other resident's watching TV, but she was asleep in her chair. When I touched her she opened her eyes, but it was as if she was not there. She usually smiled big and said a strong and slow, "Sharrrron!", but she did not do that this time. I wheeled her out to the front porch of the facility and tried to get her to talk. She did not respond much. It was very sad. I told her how much I loved her and what a blessing she has been in my life.

The next Saturday she quit eating and drinking. She has not ate or drank since. We thought we were going to lose her Sunday night, but she hung in there. I am so thankful that all of my boys were able to see her and say good-bye. Hospice has been called and we have a meeting with them today. God is amazing how He arranges things. My sister-in-law, Stacey and her husband Jim, came down Sunday night and spent the night with my father-in-law for a regular planned visit, they had no idea this was going to be happening to Mom. It was just so wonderful to have them in town for all of this and they were staying at Dad's house with him, so it was very comforting to know he was not alone.

It's really sad to me that this is happening now, right after we got them both settled here. I was really hoping to have at least one more year with her, but we don't get to choose these things. Alice has been sick with dementia for 7 years. She fought a good battle and now she's ready to go to the Lord. She is a Christian and loves God, so it is very comforting to know she will be in heaven with a new brain and body.

I could write a book about this woman and how wonderful she was. She was amazing! So full of life! She lived her life to the fullest and touched many lives. She has made this all easier for the family as we found a file in their home called, "My Funeral" and she planned out every detail of her funeral including things like poems and whom she would like to read them and songs and whom she'd like to sing them and even had the photo in there that she chose to put in the local paper. This is just so Alice. She was a planner and she cared about details.

My father-in-law is very sad, but he knew it was coming and he has a lot of support. My husband is doing okay too. I have been very weepy. I think we all thought we were prepared for this day to come, and thankfully, we had a very long good-bye, but in reality, I don't think you can ever be prepared for the onslaught of emotions that come when you are about to lose a dear loved one.

For now, she is still with us, but we know what is coming. Please say a prayer for our family during this difficult time.

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”  Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:1-6

Hugs, Sharon


8 comments:

Erin said...

So sorry to hear this sad news, Sharon.

as always starzie said...

So sorry to hear this sad news Sharon. I will pray for your whole family to find comfort and peace at this time. Take care.
Hugs,
Darlene

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

I don't know if you remember me. I am Grandma Willa. The one with 3 married sons and 7 beautiful grandchildren.

Last year we went through my Mom's last illness and she passed away September 29, 2013. I very much know what you are undergoing right now.

It is the long road home to be with the Lord. Something we expect to happen to all of us. But when the time comes for one of our loved ones to walk this road, we are devastated because we wish we had more time with them.

My Dad was with Hospice twice in 2006. He was very ill and hospice was called, then he recovered a bit and they were no longer needed. But then relapsed again and when hospice was called this time, he passed away a few months later.

I was so touched reading your story. My Mom didn't suffer from dementia, but had had several strokes. We were unable to take care of her physical needs at home so after her hospitalization, she was sent to a nursing home and then a residential care facility. After a few months there, Hospice was called in. She only had a few weeks left when this happened. We tried to spend all the time we could with her, but we were not there when she passed away in the middle of the night.

If this happens to you, do not feel guilty. As with us, our Moms
knew that we loved them with every fiber of our being.

I am so sad for you right now, because we have been there so recently and still missing her so much as we were so close. My heart is still hurting so much.

I know that my Mom who was in so much pain in her last years is now dancing with my Dad in Heaven and loving it there and we wouldn't want her back in pain. But I still am selfish and wish her here with me.

Anyway, all that to say that I will be praying for you and your family. I don't write much, but I read your blog so much.

Congratulations on being a Grandma and that your children are finding the loves of their lives and marrying. God is so good.

Isn't being a Grandma the best?

Grandma Willa

jAne said...

praying for your family...

Farrah said...

Sitting here reading this with tears in my eyes. Y'all are in my prayers. xoxoxo

Simply Shelley said...

It has been so long since I've visited you, I thought it was time, and now see why. I'm offering up a prayer for your sweet MIL and all the family. God bless

Cottonwood Tales said...

Prayers for your family. I have enjoyed always reading about your MIL. She reminds me of mind - sweet and kind. About 4 years ago, we moved my MIL onto our property and she lives in a beautiful mobile home right next door to us.
Hugs and God Bless your family,
Karen
West, Texas

Anne F said...

I am not a real regular to your blog but for a bit I was. When I seen your post it really hit home for me. My daddy is under Hospice right now and living with me and my family we have found so much comfort in the Hospice group and preparing us for the end, if that is even possible. My daddy has fought a long hard battle also and it is not easy at this time in there lives or ours. My momma is in a facility as she has Alzheimers also and it is hard to see her slipping a little each day. My daddy did like your sweet loving mother in law and his plans are all mapped out and paid for and we know what will happen and who is doing what at the end.

God gave us amazing parents and in laws that is for sure. I will be praying each day and night for your family and I pray that this time in your life will find you leaning on the Lord more and more. Hug each other and cry and share your memories. Hugs to all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...