This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Finishing the farm table....

Back in November I told you about the amazing farm table that my husband, Eric, made out of old floor boards from our barn (click here to read that story). He got the table made just in time for Thanksgiving, but he didn't have time to finish it. We decided to wait until after the holidays to finish up this project, and a few weeks ago we did just that!
We decided to pain the legs of the table and the benches, and finish the tops with clear varnish. It was my job to do the painting. The table weighs a ton, so there was no choice but to paint it inside the house. I laid down several drop cloths to protect the carpet.
Because it was cold outside, I decided to paint all the benches inside the house too. I made a fun day of it and I watched cute movies while I worked.
First I painted everything with a primer. Actually, we didn't have any primer, but we had a can of this old yellow paint with primer built in, so I used that. I actually kind of like this pale yellow on the table, but the plan is to paint it red.
 My handy assistant, McGyver, was camped out underneath the table!
Got the first coat done! It's looking good!
 The second coat looks wonderful and coordinates with the room perfectly!
After I was done painting, Eric started working on finishing the top. First he vacuumed all dust and dirt off of the table.
Then he applied this really cool stuff called Pour-On, which is a two-part epoxy. The label states that it preserves and beautifies wood and is equal to up to 50 coats of varnish! This is what restaurants and bars use for their table tops.
 Wow! So far it looks sooo pretty! I can't wait to see it when it's completed!
The next issue we had to tackle was filling these large gaps with a sealant. We want the table to be perfectly level and smooth with no gaps or dings.
 Eric did a little research and found this clear silicone caulking.
 He started slowly applying it to all of the gaps in the wood.
 We were a little startled by the fact that it came out pure white!
 Eric read the fine print and it said that it came out white, but dried crystal clear. Whew!
It took about two weeks to dry and while it is no longer pure white, unfortunately it dried more cloudy rather than crystal clear. We are bummed about it, but hoping it will continue to dry to a clear.
Eric went ahead and put another coat of the clear varnish on it to seal it and, boy, it turned out so pretty!
 We are so happy with the results!
 The varnish brought out all the wood's character and imperfections.
 Beautiful!
 The top is completely smooth, you could sit there and write a letter!
 It's so shiny, it's like a mirror; you can see the reflection of the things in the room.
 I love it!
 It's just how I imagined it!
I am so thankful for my husband's woodworking talents and willingness to do projects like this for our family. I know that we will have many, many wonderful family dinners here!

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." Psalm 23:5

Hugs, Sharon

8 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Sharon,
Eric really did a beautiful job on the table. I love the color you put on the legs, it's absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love how the farm table turned out a great project. There will be many family dinners there. Donna

Anonymous said...

Your table looks incredible!! I love it! Great job Eric and Sharon.

Pamela
Ohio

Sue from Albany NY said...

The table is just beautiful!

~JoAnn~ said...

Looks great sharon! Blessings joann

Curious Thinker said...

Nice looking table, your husband did a wonderful job.

as always starzie said...

The finish on your table looks amazing! Did it eventually all dry clear? I have been wondering what I might use this finish product on! Just would like to try it someday!
Hope everything is ok with you.
Hugs,
Darlene

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Oh my, it's gorgeous. What a transformation. Excellent team you & Eric make. Love the red legs, too. What great memories will be made at that table. I hope you two signed the underneath. And dated!

Hugs!
Mardell

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...