This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, February 17, 2014

Loading firewood...

I was raised as a city mouse and now I'm a country mouse. There have been many changes for us and I can honestly say they are all good. One of the big changes is that we are starting to have daily farm chores and the longer we live here and acquire more animals and plant gardens and fruit trees, we will have more daily/weekly chores. Today I wanted to share with you a chore that is new to this little country mouse, that I did not have a year ago when I lived in the city. As I have mentioned before, we are trying to heat our home solely by our wood-stove, which requires having firewood nearby and handy. My husband cleared out this area in the garage where we stack it. As you can see we are down to just one layer of logs, so this must be replenished for the coming week.
My husband and sons went up to the woods and cut several cords of wood, but it was green and unseasoned and will have to wait a year to be burned. We needed dry wood to get us through this season, so he went to a local mill and purchased this big load of wood posts called "peeler cores". The mill put the logs on a lathe removing the outer layers of soft wood to make plywood, leaving the hardwood core. This was a pretty economical at about $60.00 for all of this wood.
Eric simply gets up on the trailer of wood with his chainsaw and slices right through the whole pile making perfect sized logs that fit into our wood-stove.
It's my job to gather the logs and bring them to the wood pile in the garage.
It's fun doing chores with my husband.
These are so easy to work with because they are so nice and clean and I don't get slivers!
They are small enough for me to easily pick them up and stack them in the wheelbarrow.
This is a great way to exercise, bend, lift, twist, drop, repeat!
Once the wheelbarrow is as full as I can get it, I haul the load back to the garage and stack it. It takes several loads to get enough for the week.
Look at all that firewood! It gives me a sense of accomplishment to know that I stacked all of this and it feels good knowing we have enough wood to get us through the week!
Chores and all, I love being a country mouse!

"Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:28-29

Hugs, Sharon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...