This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, January 13, 2014

Umbrella stand

I finally have an umbrella stand!
 My inspiration is from this cute entryway designed by Allison found at My Cozy Home. She had such an awesome blog, but hasn't posted for a couple of years. I just love her house and her style and still go over there often to get cute ideas!
 I always loved her eclectic umbrella stand filled with all kinds of vintage fun goodies and now I at our new house I finally have room for one! Actually she doesn't have a true umbrella stand, but a large basket. I wanted the look of a classic umbrella stand. However, I LOVE how she filled it with so many cool old vintage items and I wanted to copy-cat this look!
I was on the hunt for a cool umbrella stand, but you just don't see them that often at all anymore. Finally, when I was at the Presbyterian Church rummage sale, I found this neat homemade ceramic one! And the kicker....it was only $1.00! While the colors are pretty, it's not the look I was going for, so.....
 I painted it a bronzed black, which I love!
I used Rust-Oleum Metallic and the color is called Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze. This paint is really awesome and it sprays on so nice and covers wonderfully. Now for more fun.....I need to be on the hunt for old fashioned umbrellas and other goodies to put inside.
 Mission accomplished! This task ended up being harder than I thought though as it's hard to find the old fashioned umbrellas!
My first find was this burgundy one. It is not old, but it has the old look with that crooked wooden handle. Notice that the tips are plastic though. I also found the old tennis racket and for several weeks that's all that was in there.
 Then two weeks ago I found two neat umbrella's at one thrift store for only $2.00 a piece! I love them both! This cream one is sooo cute! It has a Lucite handle and.....
...the metal tips and......
.....this cool little charm hanging on it. I would bet money that this was intended for one to engrave their name upon it.
The other one I found that day was this super cute plaid man's umbrella.
I love the brass tips and wood handle!
Things are looking pretty cute!
This last item was given to me by my Daddy. It's a brass duck handled cane. I think I might have been the one who bought this for him 23 years ago when I worked at a department store. We sold these there and I always thought they were so cool. I saw this at my Dad's a couple of weeks ago and asked him if I could have it. He said, "Sure, I'm not using it!"
I like how the paint gives an aged look to the stand.
I love my new umbrella stand and it's just perfect in this little nook by the front door! Now I will be on the hunt for more fun items to put inside!

“May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by His grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.” II Thessalonians 2:16-17

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

as always starzie said...

Hi Sharon! I can't believe how beautiful your umbrella stand turned out! It has a vintage metal look. The spray paint you used could be used on so many things! I'm looking around my house for items I could use this spray paint on to give them a new look! Thanks for sharing this great idea!
Hugs,
Darlene

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you thrifting again. Love the new look much better than the green. you must have some really nice thrift shops there. I have a few and some not so good.

Kathi said...

Sharon, You amaze me with your creativity! I love your umbrella stand! I loved staying in your new home. You've done such beautiful things and made it so warm and cozy! Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...