This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, January 27, 2014

Keep the home fires burning....

When we bought our house there was a stove insert in the fireplace, but it was not up to the current codes, so it had to be removed before the sale could be final.
 We had planned to put a new stove in sometime down the road, so we just lived with this big empty fireplace all through the fall.
 At Christmastime I put a poinsettia in there and some candles to give the illusion of a fire.
Well, as you know, we got hit with a big snow storm and had below freezing weather for about 10 days. We used our furnace for heat. We didn't go nuts with it, just kept it at 70 degrees during the day and turned it down to about 67 at night.
Well, needless to say, we were speechless when we received our electric bill! It was almost $600.00!!!! What???? How could this be? We said it had to be a mistake. My husband called and indeed, it was correct. He said that furnaces are not very efficient in freezing weather and we really should get a wood stove.
 A few weeks later my husband went out and purchased this new wood stove insert.
 It took all of the boys to get in in the house, it's very heavy.
 It's super energy efficient, it even recycles the smoke and actually burns the smoke! Isn't that crazy?
 Well, it seems like projects never go as smoothly as you planned.
 My husband started preparing the fireplace for the new stove and ran into all kinds of trouble.
First he had to clean it and there was tons, and tons of this weird insulation that was completely dusty. He brought in the shop vac thinking he could vacuum it all up, but that backfired and the dust went everywhere!
 Ugh!
 So then he just started scooping it all out.
 This is what it looked like.
 What a mess.
 He brought out two buckets full of this stuff.
 Does anyone know what this is?
 After he got it all cleaned out, he had a lot of trouble with getting the new pipe to fit into place where the old pipe was. He had had our son, Hayden, up on the roof pulling on it and helping him out, but to no avail. He ended up ordering a special adapter.
 Finally it was time to finish it up.
 Our son, Grayson came over to help do the final work on it.
 He's such a hard worker and so helpful too!
 Yeah!!! It's in and Grayson just built our very first fire!
 Isn't it pretty! It's ready just in time for our Sunday family dinner, the kids will be here soon.
 Eric's showing our grandson the new pretty stove and the pretty fire.
 We've been burning it all week and it works great! We turned the furnace down to 65, but the house is 73 degrees!!!
 Blondie and McGyver are loving it and now have their new favorite cozy spots in the house! I am hoping to do something fancier with that black backsplash, I am kind of thinking about silver tin ceiling tiles, wouldn't that be pretty!
I'm thankful that my husband and sons are so handy and that we now have a new wood stove. Hopefully our heating bill will reflect this new change too!

"John answered them all, saying, “I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire." Luke 3:16

Addendum: Somebody wrote and was worried that it was up to code and approved by our insurance company and I wanted to tell you that yes, the stove, the pipes, the fireproof insulation is all up to code, approved by our insurance agent and totally safe. Also, my husband found out what that stuff was that he cleaned out of the chimney, it was  fireproof insulation that the previous owners set at the back of the old stove just because they had extra material.


Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Sharon, I'm so happy you got your warm cozy wood stove. Eric is amazing. He jumps right in and makes things work efficiently. I love the picture with baby Ridley; so adorable. Kathi

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Wow, how nice!

My jaw dropped when I saw your heating bill. We keep our therm. at 62 (yes, it's cold in here.) I'm afraid to get our bill since we're going on 5 weeks of zero-ish temps! So tired of winter this year! 73 must feel like a sauna!

Enjoy! :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...