This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Getting ready for a fun day with my girls!

 We had a "Say Yes to the Dress" party for my future daughter-in-law a week ago and it was so much fun!
 Cameron and Megan announced their engagement back in November and they set their date for this August 23rd. Click here to read about their love story and their special day.
 My friend, Shannon, told me about this idea of having the bride, her mother, and the bridal party over for brunch and then go out shopping for the wedding dress. I LOVED the idea and asked Megan if she would like to do that and she did!
 I set the table with lots of fun vintage wedding items such as an old cake topper, a vintage light-up church, a beautiful framed Golden Wedding anniversary poem and other little bride and groom items.
Isn't this old cake topper marvelous! I found it at a thrift store last year for $1.00! It's so cute and I thought it would come in handy for some special ladies day and sure enough it was perfect for the "Say Yes to the Dress" party! I also used it last July as a centerpiece for the anniversary dinner I made for my hubby and I.
I also displayed these two cute books. The one on top is from 1956 and was a gift to new brides who came into a department store to register for their wedding gifts. The one on the bottom is my great grandmother Bessie Louise Gray's wedding book when she married Mr. James G. Jackson on June 3, 1908! I will share more about these two books later.
This piece is very special. This is an old gold locket from my Grandma Ethel. There's a picture of her and my Grandpa Harry inside. It's extra special because both of my sisters and I had this attached to our bouquets for our weddings and carried it as the "something old" part of the old little saying, "Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue".  I was very touched when my first daughter-in-love, Brittany, carried it in her wedding bouquet too and I offered it to Megan and she said she would like to do that as well!
 I set the table the night before and I also thought it would be fun to display my old wedding dress!
It was in storage (I admit, I have treated it terribly, it was just in a box in the attic for all of these years). I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled it out and pressed it to see that it was in very good shape!
When we moved it was actually in the Goodwill pile, but at the last minute I retrieved it thinking I could use the lace for some project. I was glad I had it for our Say Yes to the Dress party! I asked Megan's mother to bring her dress as well so the girls could look at them both.
 I got up early Sunday morning and made this quiche.
 I have to be honest here and say that I was nervous to make it! I don't know why, but I was intimidated by quiche! I shouldn't have been because it was so simple! I was worried about having enough time, so I cheated and used a frozen crust, but I transferred it to my pie dish. I found this recipe on the internet and it was simply 4 eggs, beaten, 3/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 fresh basil leaf chopped, 1 cup cooked ham, diced, 1 cup shredded cheddar/swiss cheese combo and salt & pepper. Mix it all together and pour into the unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. It turned out delicious!
 I used my pretty antique silver coffee pot and used Eric's grandma's china.
 The table looked so pretty!
I also used Eric's grandmother's ruby goblets and Eric's mother's silver service.
 I placed the quiche on a crystal pedestal dish.
 Since this was such a special day, I served mimosas with the brunch! The orange juice looks so pretty in this crystal beverage urn!
I had the girls bring a dish and Rachelle made this beautiful fruit salad! Megan's maid of honor, Caitlin, brought a tray of fruit as well.
Brittany made these beautiful breads, a delicious coffee cake and a wonderful chocolate chip banana bread! She even brought the pretty serving tray!
 Well everything's set!
 We're just waiting for everyone to get here and it will be so exciting to see what dress she will end up saying "yes" to!!! I am so happy for my son and Megan, and am so excited for all the fun events coming up relating to the wedding. I love Megan and am so happy she will be joining our family soon! Come back tomorrow to see how much fun we had!

"Her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:10-12

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

Kathie said...

So much fun! Can't wait to see Megans mothers wedding dress too!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sharon what a treat! You did a fantastic job in setting the table. I love all the vintage items. How special. I love the silver locket, your dress, the cake toppers and china. all so special. cant wait for tomorrow!

Anne F said...

So pretty everything is. You are so lucky and blessed. I have a 4th son getting married in May and I have not been included in anything but knowing when the shower is and what I need to make that is it. I wish your son and future wife nothing but blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...