This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, January 30, 2014

A very special Wedding Album.....

Last week I told you about the "Say Yes to the Dress" brunch I had for my beautiful future daughter-in-love, Megan. For the table centerpiece I displayed all kinds of fun vintage wedding items and today I'd like to share more with you about one of the books that I displayed (I will be sharing the other one soon too!).
This book is very old and very special. It's the wedding book of my great grandparents, Bessie and James Jackson!
They were married June 3, 1908! It's amazing to me that this book is 105 years old!
It's just a wonderful piece of family history. They were betrothed on August 28, 1907.
Here are their pictures.
Mr. James G. Jackson.
Miss Bessie Gray.
What's so cute is they had a chaperon, Miss Virgie Williams, and it was such an important thing that they event mention it in the wedding album and placed her picture above theirs. What a lovely innocent time period that was!
This is their wedding announcement, it's simple yet, elegant. I love it that it was on a Wednesday afternoon at 2:00 at the location of her parent's home.
I thought these pages were adorable! It says, "The trousseau...frills and bows and furbelows"!

Trousseau: The personal possessions of a bride usually including clothes, accessories, and household linens and wares.

Furbelow: 1. A pleated or gathered piece of material; especially: a flounce on women's clothing. 2. something that suggests a furbelow especially in being showy or superfluous.
I just love it that she actually pasted fabric swatches from her dress!
She also saved pieces of fabric from her other dresses. This is soooo darling! I love the brown polka-dot fabric!
She noted the details from her wedding shower.
I found it interesting that she had her shower just two days before she was married, unlike today when we often do them a month or more prior to the wedding. Also, I noticed that almost every gift was a handkerchief!
I love this bride's poem and especially love the last line, "I am thine."
Here's the big day! I wish that they had more photos of the wedding and her dress, but this was all that was there.
I love this beautiful wedding certificate. She even glued in a picture of the minister.
Here's a picture of the bridal party. James and Bessie are sitting on the right.
Again, simple, yet elegant and affordable; for refreshments they simply had several choices of cake, ice cream and fruit punch.  They served Angel Food cake, Devil's Food cake and Bride's cake.  Sometimes I wish we could go back to these simpler times, getting married on a Wednesday afternoon in your parents backyard and serve cake. It sure would help the newlyweds with a better financial start.
They received many gifts!
I love this picture! It says "Piano from Jim" I'm assuming this is a gift that the groom gave to the bride and that's her playing it with her darling white blouse, black skirt and her hair up in a lovely bun.
The handwriting was so pretty. I read through the gifts received and people were so generous.
Their first home!
Isn't it amazing! Oh how I would love to see this house!
Here's a picture of Mrs. Bessie Jackson it says, "when first married 1908-1909" What an amazing horse and buggy!
A year later that got formal photos taken.
He was a handsome man.
And she was a beautiful woman.
Then they went off on their honey moon!
Here's the article from their newspaper. I love that it says "They left on the evening train for Topeka and other western points." Soooo cute!
She saved this business card from the Hotel Throop in Topeka. I'm assuming this is where they spent their honeymoon. How romantic!
In the back of the book there were these two pictures torn from a catalog with notes on them. I'm assuming that this top one is her wedding dress and she's made some changes to it. Aren't they darling dresses!
I'm wondering if this was her traveling dress. It's so pretty too. I'm thinking that all the women had formal white dresses and formal black dresses for different social events.
I also thought it was so cute that the newspaper even printed an article  about them entertaining guests for dinner for their sixth anniversary. I wonder if this was common for all couples or if they were in a high social group. It's pretty amazing that it was considered news!
Oh how I loved going down memory lane with my great grandparents on their wedding day! What a treasure to have this piece of family history!

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord." Proverbs 18:22

Hugs, Sharon

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The interesting part is it is really an old form of blogging. I noticed the same thing going through old family albums , there were news paper clippings noting such things as dinners , travels etc. Your great grandmother and you are very much alike especially with her clipping bits of fabric and things for memories. You probably have collections like she used to as well. Thank You for sharing. Donna

Anonymous said...

That is really a special piece of
your family history. Thank you for
sharing it. Things were so different
all those years ago. I agree with
you that money shouldn't be such an
object today, but more of the time
and memories people spend together.
What a wonderful keepsake you have!
Take care,
Paula

Mardell said...

Sharon!
That is amazing ~ oh my! What a treasure. Seriously! You are very blessed to have that. It's in wonderful condition, too. How very special. Love the pictures. Didn't know what that word was (now I can't remember it, started with an "f".) Do you know if their house is still standing? Wouldn't it be something to be able to go see it? I also loved the clothing swatches, too. What a lovely couple. How many children did they have? Sorry so many questions, I could go on & on.

as always starzie said...

Sharon this wedding book of your Great Grandparents is amazing! I think they probably were in a high social group. I didn't realize books like this existed back then. They must have had money. Did you ever hear that they were very well off? You are like me, we love these mementos from our family history. Sadly, I've found some of this new generation of young women don't seem to be as enthusiastic about family heirlooms. Or treasure keepsakes from family members. I think that's sad. Thanks so much for sharing this book with us! I enjoyed it so much!
Hugs,
Darlene
PS If you can include me in your prayers, I'd appreciate it so much! I'm experiencing some pretty serious health issues. Thanks!

Sue said...

Absolutey beautiful and filled with such detail, what a priceless treasure!
Blessings,
Sue

Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! First of all, to Darlene, yes, I will pray for you and I sure do hope you get well soon. @ Donna, I thought the same thing! It is kind of like blogging. I feel like there are certain people with personalities that want to leave their mark and tell their stories through journaling, scrapbooking, movies and blogging. I'm one of those people! :) @ Mardell...I would LOVE to go see this house. I should research and see if it's still there. My mother remembers visiting there and she said she always loved it. To answer your questions, they had two children, my Grandfather and his sister. Sadly, they divorced later, but I don't know the details of that, I will have to ask my mother. I met my great Grandmother Bessie when I was a tiny little thing and I told her I loved the blue veins in her hands (and I really did!) and I got scolded for saying that. @ Darlene, as I was putting together this post, I had come to realize that they must have had both money and a high social standing. Too bad it didn't trickle down to me! haha! Thank you ladies for your comments! :)

Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! First of all, to Darlene, yes, I will pray for you and I sure do hope you get well soon. @ Donna, I thought the same thing! It is kind of like blogging. I feel like there are certain people with personalities that want to leave their mark and tell their stories through journaling, scrapbooking, movies and blogging. I'm one of those people! :) @ Mardell...I would LOVE to go see this house. I should research and see if it's still there. My mother remembers visiting there and she said she always loved it. To answer your questions, they had two children, my Grandfather and his sister. Sadly, they divorced later, but I don't know the details of that, I will have to ask my mother. I met my great Grandmother Bessie when I was a tiny little thing and I told her I loved the blue veins in her hands (and I really did!) and I got scolded for saying that. @ Darlene, as I was putting together this post, I had come to realize that they must have had both money and a high social standing. Too bad it didn't trickle down to me! haha! Thank you ladies for your comments! :)

Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! First of all, to Darlene, yes, I will pray for you and I sure do hope you get well soon. @ Donna, I thought the same thing! It is kind of like blogging. I feel like there are certain people with personalities that want to leave their mark and tell their stories through journaling, scrapbooking, movies and blogging. I'm one of those people! :) @ Mardell...I would LOVE to go see this house. I should research and see if it's still there. My mother remembers visiting there and she said she always loved it. To answer your questions, they had two children, my Grandfather and his sister. Sadly, they divorced later, but I don't know the details of that, I will have to ask my mother. I met my great Grandmother Bessie when I was a tiny little thing and I told her I loved the blue veins in her hands (and I really did!) and I got scolded for saying that. @ Darlene, as I was putting together this post, I had come to realize that they must have had both money and a high social standing. Too bad it didn't trickle down to me! haha! Thank you ladies for your comments! :)

Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! First of all, to Darlene, yes, I will pray for you and I sure do hope you get well soon. @ Donna, I thought the same thing! It is kind of like blogging. I feel like there are certain people with personalities that want to leave their mark and tell their stories through journaling, scrapbooking, movies and blogging. I'm one of those people! :) @ Mardell...I would LOVE to go see this house. I should research and see if it's still there. My mother remembers visiting there and she said she always loved it. To answer your questions, they had two children, my Grandfather and his sister. Sadly, they divorced later, but I don't know the details of that, I will have to ask my mother. I met my great Grandmother Bessie when I was a tiny little thing and I told her I loved the blue veins in her hands (and I really did!) and I got scolded for saying that. @ Darlene, as I was putting together this post, I had come to realize that they must have had both money and a high social standing. Too bad it didn't trickle down to me! haha! Thank you ladies for your comments! :)

Kathi said...

Sharon, This is fantastic. I did not even know this book existed. I hope to see it next time I visit. I loved every picture and every detail. Thank you for sharing it. I wish we could have known her better and talked with her. She was a pretty woman and she had style and grace. Kathi

Anonymous said...

Oh wow how special this is!!! Love it all. I hope you find the house. I have boxes of letters my grandparents wrote each other in 1910 before the married. So fun to read them. I have pictures too and of their wedding, a round table cloth made by hand, his globe wornike book case, some silverware and cream and sugar, watterford candle stick. so dear to me since I never met them. They married in 1911 and my mother was born in 1913, have pics of her too. so speical. thanks so much for sharing this with us, made my day.

Anonymous said...

PS I went to see the house where my mother was born in 1913, just walked up to the house and told them who I was and they let me in to see it. it was so emotional. It was her uncle's house and he was wealthy. The owners knew who I was. 3 story victorian with parkay flooring, great staircase and landing, did your grandparents remarry others?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...