This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Going up to the snow to get the tree!!!

 Last year we went up to the snow to cut a fresh Christmas tree right off of the mountain (click here to read about that and see the pretty pictures, but we actually ended up not finding one). We had so much fun and really wanted to do it again this year with our whole family, but we've been so very busy with our new home and the projects around here, that we decided to just get one in town, but hey....guess what? Because of this big snow storm we've had here in our county, we still were able to get our tree in the snow.....read on!
Last Saturday, my husband and I decided to go get our tree. I ended up driving my own car and following my husband because I was going into the city after we picked out our tree.
I was worried about driving in the snow. It was soooo cold too, if you enlarge the first picture, you will see that my car temperature shows it was just 15 degrees! It actually got much colder the next night...it got down to -2!
We went really slow and we did not have any problems.
It is all so beautiful!
Gorgeous!
Our downtown main street was so quiet and peaceful. I love how the church looks all snow covered!
The old fashioned street lights look so cute.
All we had to do was drive  to this gas station to get our tree!
The local Boy Scouts were selling trees that they had just cut that morning. We picked out a real nice 7 foot Grand Fir. Here's my hubby taking it to the truck.
This picture cracks me up! It gives the illusion that our Christmas tree is that giant tree behind the truck!
This is our true tree! I love it when you see people driving around town carrying their trees back to their cozy homes to decorate and start the Christmas season!
Bada bing, bada boom.....that's it! We're done! It took all of five minutes and it only cost $20.00 AND we can say that we got our tree out in the snow!!! haha!
We brought the tree in and decided to put it in front of the bay window in our dining area. I am soooo thrilled to finally, after all of my years of marriage, be able to have a tree in front of our living room window! Actually, now that I think about it, my parents never put the tree in the front window either, this is my first Christmas ever to do this and I'm so happy about it!!!
I have mentioned this before, but it's kind of sad that I never made a tradition of having the family all together to trim the tree. I think because my husband was never interested in doing it, I just did it by myself on a quiet afternoon. When the boys were little we would have hot cocoa and they helped me, but as they grew up they started getting to busy and I ended up doing it alone. I don't mind it though and I still try to make it special with a cup of hot coffee in a cute Christmas mug and have Christmas music playing.
My only helper was McGyver, and all he did was bark orders and he didn't lift a finger! haha
It's all done and I'm quite happy with it!
The only thing I miss is that when I sit on my couch in the living room doing my morning devotionals I am not staring right at the tree, but I will get used to that.
It's fun to be able to see it from the kitchen.
I do my tree pretty much the same every year.
I love the old fashioned ornaments.
I have many antique ornaments like this cute little chenille elf.
I also have reproduction ornaments like this pretty pine cone.
We have many strands of vintage glass bead garland that are hanging on the tree.
I found several packages of REAL lead tinsel. It is so beautiful. It's also rare, so I try to save it every year and try to reuse it!
These three little vintage angels represent my two sisters and I. We have had a hard year together and having these three together is very meaningful to me this Christmas!
After hearing the folk tale of the pickle on the tree, I wanted one of these ornaments! The tradition is that the first person to find it will find good fortune the whole next year!
Santa!
I was so happy to be able to get a picture of our tree in the window withe snow in the background outside!
It's makes me so happy to see our tree in the window!
What a delight it is to see it from the road when I come home from work!
I love our tree and am so excited to start this Christmas season! I would like to wish all of you a very merry Christmas season too!

Thank you God in heaven for giving us Jesus Christ as the best gift ever!

"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." Isaiah 7:14 


Hugs, Sharon

5 comments:

Judy said...

I really enjoy reading your posts Sharon, your love of life, family and God is so strong. I wish you and your loved ones a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! These pictures look like they are out of a Hallmark movie!!!Y'all are lucky to live in such a beautiful state. What a joy it must be to have snow so close to Christmas! Love your tree too and the tinsel!! Tracie in NC

Jane from Alabama said...

Beautiful tree…Beautiful nature…Beautiful pictures!! The "big tree" picture is too funny! Glad you explained it! Always love seeing what you are doing in your home!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see your tree up this year. those glass beads are a rare find. I have some of the vintage ornaments you have too. No leaded tinsel though. so pretty to see from the road, warm and inviting. you do have a tradition, of you putting the tree together for the family, the party, your gift to others to enjoy. are you having your party this year? hope so in the new house. thanks for sharing.

Simply Shelley said...

A beautiful Christmas post...all away around :) Merry Christmas to you and yours

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...