This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Illness and injury......

 We've been having a rough go of it. First I'll tell you about my little injury that I have been dealing with since we moved in. I have tennis elbow and it hurts like the dickens. No, I don't play tennis, but I sure moved a lot of heavy boxes which brought it on.
I put up with the pain for a couple of weeks and then finally went to the doctor. She gave me an anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxer and pain killer. She also ordered an xray to see if something else was going on. I have a large marble-sized bump on the tip of my elbow which is very tender; she thought it could be a bone spur, but the xray was negative.
It is actually good news that it's not a bone spur because that would have required surgery, but the bad news is that tennis elbow takes several months of rest to heal (up to six months or longer). I have been so bummed out by this...rest, how can I rest when I'm so busy and it's my dominant right arm? It is so hard to do all of the things that I would like to do around here because of the pain and weakness, but also in fear of re-injuring it. I have been using all of these different ointments every day and wearing my brace. I actually burned the skin on my elbow because of these ointments!

I want to be healed up in time for the arrival of my grandson, I want to be able to lift him up and hold him, and also help Mackenzie and Brittany, so I am praying that I will heal quickly. I have been under so much stress with my extended family situation and my doctor said that stress effects our body's natural ability to heal quickly and also effects our pain level. I have decided to separate myself from the situation and just trust God with all of that hardship.
On top of my annoying injury, we have had illness come to our home. Last Monday Hayden came home from work feeling very sick. He ended up going to bed very early like at 5:30 and stayed in bed until the next morning, but all he could do is barely drag himself to the family room where he promptly laid down on the floor with a blanket and fell asleep again. I took his temperature and it was 101.8 and he had a horrible sore throat. I made him an appointment with the doctor that I work for.
She thought he either had strep or mono, but the rapid strep test was negative. After her examination though, she did not feel he had the symptoms of mono, so treated him with an antibiotic for strep. We used all kinds of home remedies such as honey, chicken soup, cough drops etc. but he was in bad shape.
 He had a nice bath in our jacuzzi tub and I thought it was funny that he brought in a glass of ice water, Hall's cough drops and two popsicles. The bath felt good, but he quickly fell asleep again and moaned often from the horrible throat pain.
 Two days later, after being on the antibiotic, he was still really sick and his fever would not come down. He was sleeping in the guest room because the bed is bigger and it's a cooler room.
 I took him back to the doctor where she took blood and ran some tests. She gave him a stronger antibiotic and a prescription for vicodin for his painful throat. We stopped at the pharmacy to get the prescriptions and this is what I saw when I came back out to the car. His legs were propped up and he was fast asleep. My poor son, he was so miserable.
 I made him a smoothie, which he got down. He has lost 14 pounds in one week from this illness. In a 48 hour period he slept 44 hours.
 His girlfriend, Miranda, came over with soup, grapes and Gatorade and I think she was just what the doctor ordered because he seems to be so much better now. He is still not completely out of the woods yet so can you please keep him in your prayers that he will completely recover. Some of these new bacterial infections can be very scary, so I will not rest until he is completely back to his old self.
Also, please say a prayer for me and my darn tennis elbow. Pray that it heals quickly and completely so I can hold my grandson in six weeks. I know that several of you have illnesses and injuries and I'm praying for you too.

Thank you!

"Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and He saved them out of their distresses. He sent His word and healed them. Psalm 107:19-20a

Hugs, Sharon

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Prayers for healing for sure. Maybe God is saying you need to rest now - get ready for the baby to come bec you will really be up then for sure. Lots of changes. Hope Hayden is doing better. I am in Texas and my son is in Michigan going to school- so far away. you are lucky yours are so close.

Judy said...

I will definitely keep you both in my prayers. I hope your elbow does heal in time for that new grand-baby. It's funny how those girlfriends are always the healing ticket :)

Sue said...

So sorry that you and Hayden are sick, Sharon, sending thoughts and prayers today. i prescribe lots of rest, and continued fluids, I so relate about the stress, and the dr. is so right it does indeed affect our bodies in healing.
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Love that Blondie was right there with him! Our yellow lab Sunny would be the same way! They are the best! Hope you both feel better soon!!

Jane from Alabama

elizabeth said...

Praying for you, Sharon!

adsgram said...

Poor Sharon and Hayden...that really stinks. I was in a wrist brace when my granddaughter was born...ugly old black thing, but I made sure she was handed to me, and I managed (as I am sure you will as well) to help as much as possible with her and her parents and big brother. Knowing this far ahead is a good thing...REST,REST, REST, my girl! You have a good long time later to work on your home which is already SO pretty. I am sending good wishes and a prayer for speedy and complete healing for you both!

Lynne

Janet said...

So sorry to hear...will be keeping you and your son in my prayers.

Mardell said...

Boo hoo! Oh my, Sharon. What a bummer. I've heard that Tennis Elbow IS very painful. I'll be praying for both you & Hayden. Can't imagine sleeping that long, but that's probably his body trying to fight whatever it is he has. You're right, those bacterial viruses can be SCARY. Blondie sure loves her Hayden. Good girl!

Thinking of you both.
xoxo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...