This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Adjusting to the farm life......

 One of the first things we had to do when we moved in was to be sure our pets were safe. Dogs do better in this area than cats.
Our dog, Blondie, learned her boundaries very quickly and stayed right near the house. She's such a good dog and is not a roamer anyway, so this was very easy. She loves having so much room to run and play!
Our kitty, McGyver, however, is a different story. We had heard that cats tend to roam too far and get lost if you let them out too soon and then sometimes will try to find their old home. We heard it's important that you keep them in the new house for up to a week if possible. McGyver, was actually quite complacent with this plan. He seemed a little afraid of the new outside surroundings.
He would sit and look outside the screen door with curiosity, but never tried to get out. I would hold him tightly and take him on little tours outside the house, especially around the doors so he would learn what our house looked and smelled like. After three days and nights, he had enough and he wanted to go outside very badly. He kept going to the doors and crying, so I knew it was time.
I let him go outside for the first time and I watched him like a hawk. He was very curious!
He found Eric's truck and smelled the wheels; he probably said, "This smells familiar, but it's in a different place than normal."
He went out into the shed.
It's so big and strange out here!
So many new things to see!
So many new smells!
What's up there?
What's the sound way out there?
I walked out to the barn and McGyver followed me....
...and then something stopped him dead in his tracks!!!
I mean frozen solid!
For reals! What in the world did he see?
The biggest dogs he's ever seen in his life! haha! Nope, it was just the horse and the Shetland pony. He was very cautious around them and kept his distance! We walked back towards the house and I felt reassured that he was learning our house and the new property. I left him alone out there and was so happy when he walked up to me about an hour later when I was working out on the back porch! Yea!!! He knows the new house and property!
Now he goes out whenever he wants and even stays out at night!
He's had fun catching lots of mice and he even chased the turkeys!
I'm so happy that both of our pets are loving our new house. Having them roam the property really makes it feel like home.

“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.” Proverbs 30:5


Hugs, Sharon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad they made the move ok and are happy to have such a wonderful yard to roam in. when I lived in the country, when my dog first saw the horse next door- he ha done paw in the air and froze. i had to go get him to show him the horse. I also had a black panther in the back yard one time too- glad my little dog was not out there. glad you all are settling in on the farm. count down to the baby!!

Simply Shelley said...

Very cute post...made me smile. Blessings

Judy said...

Awe, it looks like they are settling in just fine. How are you and Eric doing? It really looks very peaceful there.

Mardell said...

Aaaww! You're such a good Mom, Sharon. Love how you took pictures & documented it all. (I would forget that stuff.) By now, I bet Blondie & your kitty (see, I can never remember how to spell his name) are quite comfortable with their new stomping grounds. What fun for them...oh the exploring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...