This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Getting things ready.....

 This is one of the last normal places we have left in our home. We are packing up and ready to move! Let me back up a little first though and tell you what we've had to do to get this place ready to pass the inspection.
 I shouldn't say "we"because it was solely my husband who took care of everything. He had to install these wood boxes around all of the outside vents. Our realtor said he's so impressed with Eric and he's never had a client like him who hears that he needs to get projects done and gets them done so quickly! He advised us to get these boxes put around the vents on a Monday evening and all four of them were made by the next day at noon. I love my hardworking husband!
 We had to completely overhaul the electricity in our home. There were many things that were actually dangerous! We wondered how in the world did the house pass inspection when we moved in with all of these issues! We were so grateful to our friend, Jerry, who is an excellent electrician; he came over and worked for several hours on a Sunday to get us up to code.
 We needed to update the kitchen outlets to have the circuit interrupters on them.
 I wanted to keep my cool vintage chandelier, so he took down for us and.....
 ....hung this new one that I found at the Goodwill for only $15.00!
 This is very upsetting, but also faith building. When he removed this cap at the top of the ceiling where the chandelier hung from, we discovered that a wire had gone bad at some point and actually caught fire! We were never ever aware of this and praise the Lord that a fire never broke out. God protected us!
One of the requirements was for us to locate the emergency sewer cutoff valve. My husband had to cut open the front deck and he dug and dug around in the dirt, but couldn't find it.
He kept digging and searching and finally found it several feet away. He ended up making two holes in the deck, but he replaced the boards and made a handy little hatch door for the new owners.
We had workmen around our place for several days. We had a glass company come and replace three windows.
My hubby had the week off, so he was making sure everything got done.
We had to hire a chimney company to come and replace some bricks and get a new chimney cap as well as a stainless liner.
This is some of the rubble that came from the chimney.
I'm so sentimental, I took a few of the bricks to save as a memory. I will put them in our garden at the new house.
We had to hire the heating and air conditioning company to come over and service our heat pump. This was the last thing and we were finally done with all of these repairs! What a relief!
Now it's time to start packing! Here's Hayden working on all the stuff we brought down from the attic. Notice the board laying there with blue, green and yellow on it. It was an old school project made by one of the boys; it's the state of Oregon made from flour dough, baked and then painted. We stored it away in the attic and it became a smorgasbord for some critter up there! All that was left was crumbs...oh my goodness, what a mess!
We sorted everything out and took a bunch of stuff to the dump!
Eric had a small garage sale last week and earned a little cash.
I started boxing things up.
It went much smoother than I anticipated. I was able to box up the bonus room in a couple of hours and the guest room took about an hour.
But the dining room was another story! Oh my gosh, each dish must be wrapped and I have learned that I have WAY TOO MUCH STUFF!!!!
It's overwhelming! I am going to decorate very similarly at the new house, but definitely want to change things up and I plan on getting rid of a lot of this stuff. The problem is I don't want to do it until I get over there and see what I really use and don't use. I feel ashamed that I have so much stuff. This is a great opportunity to purge, clean and streamline! I just hope I survive this!!!
I feel like I'm kind of like a zombie. I have so much to do, but I can't seem to pick myself up and get it done. I am such a home oriented person and it's so weird for me to walk through my house and see such things as my china hutch empty...
...to see furniture piled up and things off the walls...
...and to see our pretty home all messy and chaotic. I just need to jump in and get'er done! My plan is to put all the bigger pieces in the living room all ready for the boys to move onto the trucks and trailers and then stage the boxes in the dining room.
We have so much more to do, so for now I will escape and hang out in this last normal room until this weekend when it gets packed.

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!" Isaiah 43:18

Hugs, Sharon

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow thanks so much for sharing the move and keeping us up to date. I have moved so many times I have it all down to an art. I hope you dont get rid of your holiday things,look forward to them every year. you all have accomplished a lot so far. Good thing Eric is so handy too and you had the help. what a great new adventure you are on. cant wait to see the new place and what all you will be able to make there for the home. it is a bit sad too though- we wont get to see your wonderful home much longer. it has been a good friend.

Randi Jo :) said...

I think we should all pretend to move every 10 years to be able to truly purge and figure out what really is worth keeping and what isn't!! ohhh I LOVE LOVE LOVE purging!! :)

I'm so happy for you all - this is so exciting!

Can't wait to see the new pics and how you are enjoying the new rhythms of your life.

I loved that Bringing Up Boys caught my eye in one of your book boxes. :) Love that.

I wish I knew you in person and could learn from you!

God bless yall :)

gin said...

That is a lot of work to do to kinda downsize your belongings and sort. Can't wait to see the new house set up.

Anonymous said...

I moved in April and I thought I had thinned out some of my belongings with a series of garage sales. I still have not fully unpacked because I downsized and just done know where to put things yet , what to keep or get rid of . Dishes are my weekness . I cant wait to see your new house. Happy Move ! Donna

Barbara said...

This is a very exciting change for you but I feel your pain with walking through your house and seeing it all apart. On our last move 4 years ago I was so overwhelmed I could hardly look at it! Thanks for all of the wonderful pictures and I'll pray for a smooth transition for you and your family.

Judy said...

Oh Sharon, thanks for sharing your move. I remember it being so crazy when we packed up our home of 25 years, my girls came and helped pack us up. I did go through all my stuff or at least most of it, the kids took some things that they wanted. We had a garage sale and sold most of the items we didn't want. I look forward seeing posts of your new home. My husband too is very handy, I love how your husband made a door for the new owners on the deck, how thoughtful.
P.S. Your daughter-in-law looks so cute pregnant. When is she due?

Anonymous said...

SOOOO glad you are blogging again so we can keep up with the move! I can't wait to see what you do in your new home!! Thank you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...