This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Mother of all pillows....

I could not believe it when I found this wonderful "Mother" pillow in a bin full of other miscellaneous pillows at the Goodwill. 
I especially could not believe the price! It was only .99 cents!!!
These souvenir pillows became quite popular in the 1940s when many of the servicemen in the war bought them overseas and sent them home to their mothers and sweethearts. I have wanted a "Mother" pillow for quite some time and was thrilled to find it!
This one says it's a souvenir from the Ozarks,
but interestingly enough, it's made in Japan. Go figure.
I love the font, it's so vintage looking.
To me it looks like the design has been screen printed or painted on. I like this sweet bird in the corner.
I also love this cozy little house.
There's a pretty red rose in the lower left hand corner.
Here's the reference to the Ozarks.
It says:

Mother

God took the sunshine from the skies,
And made the lovelight in your eyes. 
From the honeyed flower He took the dew
And made your tears, unselfish, true. 
Upon a rock your faith He built,
With angel prayers your breath He filled,
And with His love made yours divine
But best of all, He made you mine.


I love this sweet pillow and it looks perfectly comfy in our checkered swivel rocker in our cozy home!

"My son, observe the commandment of your father and do not forsake the teaching of your mother; bind them continually on your heart; tie them around your neck. When you walk about, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk to you. For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching is light; and reproofs for discipline are the way of life." Proverbs 6:20-23

Hugs, Sharon

4 comments:

Judy said...

What a great find with the pretty Mother pillow! It looks to be in great shape.

Anonymous said...

wow- never knew about Mother pillows! This is wonderful and another great GW find in your great GW stores there. I would bet the top of the pillow or even the back were printed in Japan and maybe put together here as a pillow. really nice. one of my mother's cousins has a pillow my grandmother made for my grandfather in 1910- oh if only I could have that pillow. hand emboridered.

Anonymous said...

Sharon the verse on this cushion is just divine. It made me think of and cherish my mother and thank God for my role as a mother.
Love Erica
PS Your blog is the first blog I ever read and the first one I always read when I log on. You are an inspiration. I love how you always put a bible quote at the end of each post that show how relevant God's word is to our daily loves. If you are ever in Australia, My door is open and the kettle is on.
bless you Erica

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Wow, what a great find!! It is so "YOU." I copied the poem down & will incorporate that into my mom's b-day card or Mother's Day card. Thank you!

And I agree with Erica in Australia! Isn't it amazing how you can touch so many lives all over the world?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...