This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, April 8, 2013

Amazingly beautiful antique perfume bottles.....

I absolutely love these two beautiful antique perfume bottles, and I am so touched and thrilled that my Daddy gave them to me recently when I was helping him and my mother clean out their house.
These two bottles used to be displayed on my parents fireplace mantle for years when I was a little girl. I used to go into the living room and look at them and handle them. I have always admired them.
The story behind them is that they once belonged to these two twin sisters who were ancestors on my mother's side of the family. Their names were Bessie and Jessie and they were born in the late 1800s.
The labels alone are gorgeous.
The graphics are so detailed and beautiful.
They are both called Quadruple Extract, but they are different scents.
 This one is White Rose and....
...this one is Carnation Pink.
The bottles are made from a gorgeous emerald green glass.
The glass is thick and has those wonderful bubbles in it that are a telltale sign that they are very old.
The stoppers are incredible! They are silver crowns.
I love how the cork is wrapped around the base of the silver.
No detail is spared.
They are made by the J.B.L. company, also known as Dr. J.B. Lynas and Son. I did some research on them and while it was disappointing that I could not find these particular bottles, I did, however, find a couple of websites about the J.B. Lynas hair product collectible bottles. The closest thing I found to my bottles were cobalt blue ones with the same long thing shape, but they did not have the stoppers.
These bottles are so beautiful.
However, there is a very sad part to this story.
Both of these little girls died months apart in their early childhood. The only story that has been passed down is that they died from some sort of childhood disease. My mother believes they died at about age 10 or 12, so probably not too long after this picture was taken. It breaks my heart to think what their mother and father went through. To lose one child would be so devastating, but to lose both of your twin daughters within months of each other would just be too much.
It is a tragic story which makes me value you these beautiful bottles even more. I'm sure that's why they were saved and passed down through the future generations and I will pass them to my kids too.

"Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel." Proverbs 27:9

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the bottles and the story. I am a twin and what they say about the bond is true. you are never completely just you- you are always 2. I can see how one dies and the other too. so sad but you let them not be forgotten in keeping out the pic and the story. Hope your parents are doing well.

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Wow, those are beautiful. What a great (& sad) story about their origins. Too bad you couldn't find more info on them. I know you'll treasure them for years to come!

PS: There is a pop-up advertisement to the right of your page. Do you see it? Maybe it's just my computer? And it won't let me exit out of it. It's been a couple of days now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...