This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Great frugal silver polish!

I pulled my silver (plate) out for our St. Patty's feast and noticed it really needed to be shinned up. 
I didn't have any silver polish in the house, so I googled "home remedy silver polish" and found several ideas. The ones I decided to try were salt, baking soda and toothpaste.
The first website said to fill the sink with warm water and pour salt on the silver. I tried this and scrubbed a spoon and nothing happened.
The next thing I tried was baking soda.
I let the silverware soak in it and then scrubbed again and.....
....nothing happened.  My last hope was the toothpaste.
I dabbed a little on an old toothbrush and
.....started scrubbing......
....oh my goodness! The tarnish is gone!
What a difference! The one on the left has not been scrubbed and the one on the right has been!
I polished several pieces with the toothbrush and then I switched to this green scrubber, which was so much faster. If I had very fine silver, I probably would not use it in fear of scratches, but for this old beat-up stuff, it worked perfect!
It's beautiful!
My camera was not picking up the big difference in how much nicer the pieces looked, so I took this before picture of the spoon furthest to the right and this is the after picture.......
...Big difference, huh!!!
It's all done now and it only took about a half hour or less!
BEFORE: Dull, tarnished, spotted, dirty looking.
AFTER: Shiny, bright, clean and sparkly!
It looked great for our St. Patrick's day dinner!
I'm so excited to learn about this new thrifty trick!
Oh, and a bonus....the toothpaste cleaned my jewelry too! Look at those rings sparkle!

"For Thou hast tried us, O God, Thou hast refined us as the refining of silver." Psalms 66:10

Hugs, Sharon

4 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

Wow! That is a great tip to know! It is so pretty.
xo rachel

Judy said...

Isn't the internet awesome for finding things like this! What a great tip and the silver and rings turned out great!

Mardell said...

How beeeeutiful!! Does that toothpaste work that good on your teeth? I need to get me some! :o)

Love your emerald ring...

How is your mom & dad? My prayers continue.

How's Brittany feeling? Has she had an ultrasound yet?

Sue said...

Great tip Sharon, thanks for sharing. Wishing you and your dear family a most blessed Easter.
Hugs,
Sue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...