This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Dessert Auction....

Our church had a dessert auction to raise money for our city-wide Easter egg hunt. I signed up to bring a cake. 
I decided to make a Black Forest Cake!
I cheated and used a cake mix, but added a can of pie cherries to it.
I baked it in a throw-away foil dish so that the people who won it would not have to worry about getting my dish back to me.
It was the week before Valentine's Day, so I decided to to put a heart on top made of cherries!
I frosted it with chocolate fudge frosting and then added shavings that I shaved from a chocolate bar. I added whipped cream all around the edges and topped it with maraschino cherries. I think it turned out pretty.
There were lots of desserts and treats at the auction!
People bid on the desserts after church. Sadly, mine only went for $6.00. I later learned that a middle school girl wanted it and actually bid lower than the previous bid offering only $4.00 and hovered over it discouraging people from bidding on it.

My friend, Amanda, saw that it was going for too low and she bid $6.00 thinking there would be time for a bidding war and it would get up in price, but then they blew a whistle and it was over. I was disappointed that it went so low because I wanted it to earn money for the Easter egg hunt. Amanda wrote me a little note later stating that they ended up paying much more for it, so that pleased me! She also told me that her husband loved it and almost got sick because he ate so much!
I was happy it all worked out. I like doing things like this for our church. It's a win win for everybody!

"In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Mardell said...

Sharon! That is so pretty! I love it. You're so creative! I bet it was delicious!! Do you know how much money overall was collected? I think that's a really good idea to raise money.

Rose of Sharon said...

Thanks Mardell! No, I don't know how much they earned, but probably at least a couple hundred! It was fun. I think next time they just need to have a few "spotters" monitoring the auction items and also someone on the loudspeaker encouraging folks to bid and doing countdowns to when it's over; i.e.; only 10 more minutes to bid...only 5 more minutes to bid...etc..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...