This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, January 14, 2013

Good cures for the January blahs!

 So, in my last post I mentioned that I had the January blues and blahs. Let's talk about that a little bit.
While wintertime can be such a beautiful season here in Oregon with the frosty mornings and snowy hills, it can be very cold. I don't do well in the cold. Especially when we want to save on our electric bill and we turn the heat down to 65 when we are gone or at nighttime, so I come home to a cold house or wake up to a cold house and I'm just not comfortable.
Stock photo circ spring 2011
When it's not freezing weather here, it tends to be rainy and dark. Sometimes this is fun when we are all cozy in the house wearing a sweater and making soup, but when we have day after day of it, it can get one's mood down. In Oregon there are a lot of people who suffer from Season Affective Disorder. I don't have that diagnosis, but after too many dark, rainy, cold days, I can get a little down. I will say though, that I absolutely love that we have four seasons here in our state and also, sometimes January does bring the most beautiful sunny, yet cold, days. I'm just trying to explain why this January the blues & blahs set in for me and our weather certainly was a contributing element.
It started with me when all the hustle and bustle of Christmas was over with no big plans in January. Although I was tired from all of the things we did, it was kind of sad that it was all over. Being tired is probably another contributing factor.
Stock photo circ January 2012
It also didn't help when I got a cold and just didn't feel up to par for several days.
And to top it off...
....college boy headed back to college after New Year's. Not only did his leaving make me kind of sad because I would miss him, but he left telling us that he seriously thought about quitting the university and wanted to come back to town and go to the local community college. This just added a of heavy thinking, worrying and praying. So, with this combination of dreary events, what's a girl to do?
Stock photo circ summer 2011
Well, of course, my first plan of action always is to pray and seek the Lord. When I read scripture and spend time talking to God, especially with a spirit of thankfulness, my spirits are always lifted.

"You are my lamp O Lord; 
the Lord turns my darkness into light." 
II Samuel 22:29

Then I decided to do a craft. I made this "Happy New Year" wreath. Actually I bought a floral wreath and embellished it with fun sparkly things.
I made the banner from jute upholstery webbing and stretched it across the center of the wreath and tied it to each side with a pretty ribbon.
I freshened up our front porch with this classic new topiary that I found at Goodwill. I got such a great deal on this. It had a star on the top, so they said it was a Christmas item and I got it 50% off after Christmas.  It was already so cheap at only $5.99, but I ended up paying only $2.99 for it! So these things are definitely cheering me up and clearing up the January blues & blahs, but I still needed a little something more.
Enter...my sister Kathi and her girls, Victoria and Jessica! They invited me to go to the mall and look for a dress for Jessica for her winter formal.
She's such a cutie and she found several to try on. It was so much fun for me to be a part of this and actually help her find things to try on.
Kathi, Victoria and I waited outside the dressing room for Jessica to show us how each dress looked on her.
This blue one is cute.
This one is pretty too and it fits like a glove! Look at that girl's tiny midriff and waist!
This black sparkly one is pretty, but it doesn't fit well, it's a little too big.
Jessica "photo bombed" our picture! haha!
And here's the winner! It's such a cute dress, it looks a little like a 60s retro dress.
There's no winter formal dress without mama's credit card! Jessica was very appreciative!
We continued shopping. This was soooo much fun for me. Since I raised four boys, hanging out at the mall and going to girl stores was just not something I ever did!
It was really, really fun!
It got late, so we ate dinner at the mall.
We had so much fun talking about grown up things like when the girls get married some day and have babies. This definitely cheered me up! I love them all so much!
Stock photo January 2010
I also had a fun day thrifting with my beautiful daughter-in-law Brittany. I forgot to take pictures of us, so I'm showing these old photos. 
Stock photo Summer 2011
I'm so thankful for this darling girl being in my life! She always cheers me up!
Another thing that always cheers me up in January is when the stores switch out all the Christmas stuff and put out all the Valentine's day stuff! It's fun knowing that we have Valentine's day right around the corner!
Seeing the valentine cards....
...fun gift ideas...
....and all the valentine's day candy...
...especially the conversation hearts...
...always cheers me up!
I bought a bunch of these brightly colored candies and brought them home. I will wait until February 1st to decorate for Valentine's day, but I wanted to make sure I got them while I could.
 I'm so happy that I'm feeling back to my old self again. God is so good and faithful. I wish that I wouldn't get down, but it's part of our human failings. The good news is that God is with us when we go through these hard times and He brings His word and His spirit to help lift us up, but He also brings us people, pets, weather, projects, things that inspire us to help encourage us and cheer us up.

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8

Hugs, Sharon

4 comments:

Erin said...

Those are great cures for the January blahs! And all the Valentine goodies remind me that spring is not far behind.

as always starzie said...

Amen Sharon! Glad your feeling better! Hope this is the best year for you and your loved ones!
Hugs,
Darlene

A Romantic Porch said...

I LOVE your bangs...they are perfect for your face.

xo rachel

Mardell said...

Yes, I love, love your hair!! The color, the cut, everything. Makes you look so bright eyed & bushy tailed!! LOL Seriously though, it looks great. :o)

We keep our thermostat at 62 and we usually wear layers upon layers of clothing in the house. Don't like it, but it cuts down on the fuel costs. Just think, if it was Spring, 65 (or 62) would feel "warm." People walk around in shorts when it's 55 out in the Spring. LOL

LOVE the Valentine displays, too. I stalk the stores waiting for them to line the shelves. Stickers, candy, all that fun stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...