This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, December 3, 2012

Two new pies!

For Thanksgiving I decided to try two new pies that I have never made before. The first is a favorite of my hubby's, pecan pie. I feel really bad that after thirty years of marriage, I have never made him one and here it's one of his favorites! I think I was always intimidated by them, thinking they were so hard to make. In reality, they are super easy to make!
First you make a pie crust.
You just need a single crust.
Lay it in your pie pan and set it aside, do not bake it yet.
Next you cream 1/2 stick butter with 1 cup of dark brown sugar.
Then you add 1/8 tsp salt, 3 beaten eggs, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 cup of corn syrup. Stir until blended. Then add 2 cups of pecan halves and mix.
Pour contents into pie shell and bake at 400 for 15 minutes and then turn down to 350 and bake another 30-35 minutes until crust is golden brown.
Oh my goodness!
It turned out beautiful!
The next pie I made was a chocolate mint pie. This is a family favorite on my husband's side as well. His mother always made one every Christmas, but this year she cannot bake. I did not feel I had time to make her pie, so I found this quick and easy version on the Internet.
First you mix up a 3.5 ounce size of instant chocolate pudding, but make sure you follow the pie filling recipe, not the pudding recipe. Then you add a couple of drops of peppermint extract to the pudding.
Pour it into a chocolate cookie pie crust and put in the refrigerator.
For the topping you take a 16 ounce container of whipped topping and pour it into a bowl. I added about 1/4 teaspoon coffee and a couple of drops of the peppermint extract. Stir until completely blended.
Then I added a couple of drops of green food coloring. Stir until completely blended.
We were not going to be eating the pie until the next day, so I put the whipped topping mix back into the container.
And put it back in the fridge, then the next day when we were ready to eat, I frosted the pie with the whipped topping.
This pie turned out okay, but it melted fast and kind of lacked a wow factor. I think next time I will add cream cheese to firm it up and add some crushed Oreo cookies to the pudding.
The pecan pie turned out perfect! My husband was very pleased! I will definitely make this again for him!

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love." I John 4:7-8


Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

Farrah said...

Yummy! My husband would like the chocolate peppermint pie. He would be quite happy to live on peppermint bark the entire Christmas season. I grew up with Derby pie, which is essentially a pecan pie with chocolate and bourbon added. So, I would choose that one. I look forward to reading more about your holiday baking!

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Your pies sure look so yummy! I haven't had pecan pie in probably 35 yrs. It was my Grandmother's favorite & baked it for all the holidays. Pecans are SO expensive. I bought a lb. yesterday & it was almost $9.00. Eeek!

The other pie reminds me of "Grasshopper" pie? My mom always bakes me a black raspberry pie for my b-day in July. Mmmmm so good (& my absolute fave.)

I remember your thread last year how you got together with your Mom to have her teach you how to make her apple pie. So sweet. I'm sorry she was not able to do any baking. :o(

Hope you're drying out there on the West coast. Have a great week. It's supposed to be 65 tomorrow & then 35 on Wed!

Hugs,
Mardell

gin said...

I love to make pecan pies. My recipie is a little different from yours. I make them all the time , not just on holidays . My families favorite everyday of the week .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...