This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, October 22, 2012

Fall decorations....

My home is all decorated for fall!
This is my favorite time of the year.
This year I did something new, I decorated this shelf that's above the couch in our family room.
Decorating is definitely a process, and you really realize it when you decorate a new area or the same area, but with big changes. I started added touches of fall to this shelf and in the beginning it just did not look good. Things were not coming together. I laid all of my fall items on the couch and on the kitchen counter and kept trying different combinations until I finally found the perfect combo!
I love how it turned out.
I did the kitchen windowsill almost identical to last year, so it was easy.
I save pictures of my holiday decorating for each season in files on my computer. This helps very much when I pull out my boxes of holiday decorating items and I feel overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Sometimes I will do a vignette exactly the same way that I did the year before and sometimes I shake it up a bit.
This is a brand new display for me this year.
Sometimes when I buy new items it will trigger a domino effect and I'll end up changing a whole bunch of things. This past summer I found the neat shadow box full of seeds and pasta at a garage sale and I thought it would be perfect for fall. I placed it on the bookshelf and then added some of the items I already had all around it to create a new look. I really like how this turned out!
I found these wonderful rusted tin acorns at a thrift store last spring and it works perfectly here!
In this corner I have some vintage mini bowls filled with candy corn with some delightful patterned squirrels in front. The darling little boy football player is from my blogging friend, Mardell. He did have wings, but I dropped him and he broke. :0( I glued his head back on, but the wings were in too many pieces. He has a sister and I have her on display upstairs.
Here's a cozy corner.
I love this vignette too. I like to decorate with seasonal candy and books!
The book is amazing, but unfortunately it's in German!
I decided to buy it at a thrift store because the cover is so perfect for fall.....
 ....and the pictures are beautiful and inspiring.
Here's a leaf-shaped bowl filled with candy corn...easy~peasy, yet leaves an impact.
Here's a couple of little touches I have in the powder room. Some little squirrels playing near some acorns and a giant walnut and...
...a sweet little bird sitting on a branch with pine cones next to a fall candle.
I was very simple in the living room and just hung this cute fall rag swag on the mantle.
I found this cute squirrel with the amazing bottle brush tail at Wal-Mart last year, he is actually a Christmas ornament. I thought he fits more in the fall genre!
I changed things on my entryway table too this year. I love it. I really like the cast iron pine cones from old cuckoo clocks and the antique owl candlestick.
These little acorns are precious to me. I picked them from the ground at my son's college campus. They remind me of him.
This display is here year round, but I thought I show it anyway, as it is perfect for Autumn.
This is the upstairs powder room. Here's the sister to the football player I showed you downstairs.
Isn't she sweet! She's holding a bushel of wheat.
In this corner I put a fun little squirrel in overalls next to a fall candle.
So that's it for the inside, lets take a look at the outside decorations.
Here's my wooden wheelbarrow that I use every year. The pumpkins inside are actually all fake! They look pretty real don't they!!! They are the light up kind with carved faces. I decided to start buying them if I could find them for $2.00 or less. I probably need to pick up about three more to fill the cart.
My sister gave me two of these gorgeous Cinderella pumpkins that she grew in her garden. The colors are so vibrant!
I placed an old crate on the steps of the porch and filled it with fun fall items.
I love this pumpkin-head man!
My sister also gave me some different types of squash and I put them in this wonderful old cast iron dutch oven.
I filled this urn with some more acorns from Hayden's college campus.
There's my new chalkboard tray that I made and showed you a few weeks ago.
I like this display.
It's simple and fun.
These hands used to be painted gold and were left over from my Victorian decorating days, but I spray painted them black for fall and Halloween. They hold more of the acorns from Hayden's college. It was really strange though, when I was picking up the acorns, hardly any of them had the little caps on them. I searched and searched and had a hard time finding lose caps which I would glue on. I was wondering if it had something to do with how old and mature the trees were.
I put an orange berry swag above my stained glass window and placed a orange and green plaid blanket on our wicker settee.
I flanked the settee with galvanized buckets filled with mums.
Simply placing an extra fall berry wreath on the settee next to some pillows added a wonderful cozy fall touch! I put up all of these decorations about two weeks ago and I think today I am going to switch it all to Halloween. I can't wait!!!

"Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains." James 5:7

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
I hope you had a great weekend. They go by too quickly, don't they?

As always, your decorating skills amaze me! :o) You should do it professionally! Fall is my favorite time of year also.

Boo hoo about your broken football angel....at least you were able to fix his head!

Have fun decorating for Halloween. I still remember that jeweled owl purse you bought a couple of years ago! So cool!

Anonymous said...

Sharon you amaze me how you go all out decorating for each holiday! You have such a gift! I am so glad we have the internet and blogs so that you can show your beautiful decorating skills.

We just new granite counter tops last friday after waiting one month. First time to have granite so today I am having so much fun cleaning my kitchen and decorating.
Love
Pamela
Ohio

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...