This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

New Bonus Room: Making Sense of it All

This is what I was I was faced with when I took my vacation in September. I took a week-long vacation and the only thing on the agenda was to get this room in order.
I pulled out all these boxes from our attic. They are full of old decorations that I had stored for a long time. It was exhausting and it was overwhelming.
It was really fun though to find old things that I had forgotten about like these things. Fun frilly pillows and drapes as well as the extra wallpaper border.
I started in one corner and moved the furniture to the center of the room...
...and scrubbed the carpet and started trying to place the furniture.
I felt so good when I finally got some things in place.
Other things....not so much. I worked so hard pushing this heavy desk to this wall all by myself and when I got it over there I did not like how it looked.
This little corner shelf is just not going to work in this angled room.
I like these bookshelves over here though.
It's starting to look like a cozy room now, but that pull-up bar has GOT to go!!!
I took a picture of all the decorating stuff in the middle of the room and I didn't realize that the "Miniature" setting was on my camera. I laughed when I saw it and thought...."Oh how I wish I really could minimize this mess!" haha!
So...now that I had the furniture placed and realized what pieces would work and what pieces wouldn't, I made a list of what we needed and hit the thrift stores in search of a few new things. I couldn't believe my good fortune when I saw the sign at the thrift store that said 50% off of All Furniture!!!
I could not believe the blessing the Lord gave me!!! We needed two couches or love seats in order to have enough seating for the whole family and this thrift store had received a huge donation of these love-seats that are actually hide-a-beds from the Marriott hotel! They were so clean and in excellent condition and they are very well made. I couldn't believe that the colors were perfect for our room, they will match the wallpaper perfectly! The bonus.....they were 50% off, so I only paid $100.00 a piece for them. I also found a darling plaid chair with a matching ottoman for only $60.00. We were planning on having a little bit of an expense and buying new furniture for the room, so I was absolutely thrilled when I found all of this furniture for only $335.00.
As I was at the counter purchasing the loveseats, I turned around and saw this darling hutch. I thought, "Oh my gosh, that would look perfect!" So, I bought it too. It was regularly $150.00 and I got it for $75.00. I was a smart girl and drove Eric's truck, so I was able to get all of this stuff home!
We left the couches in the truck until the kids came over and the boys helped Eric get them into the house.
I love all these pictures.
That miniature setting is on, so it kind of blurs the edges of the pictures and makes them look cool.
I love how the sun is setting too.
Most of all though....
I love how my sons help their father.
And I love how their father helps me! I love how they all help me! It was a lot of work getting them into the house and up the stairs. They even had to take the door off the bonus room in order for the couches to fit through.
Meanwhile, us girls were waiting outside and getting silly. Here's Megan and Brittany attempting to move the sofa.
Awe....forget about it...it's too heavy....lets just take a break!
Megan and I are having a nice visit.
Don't we look cool!
I am so thankful for my strong sons and husband for all of their help and I am soooo excited to get this new furniture!!!

"For the people worked with all their heart." Nehemiah 4:6

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the stripes in your new sofas , they look very similar to ones I used to have . Can't wait to see the finished room . Donna

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to comment! I am loving this transformation story! You have definitely lured me into some sprucing up projects that need to be done around our house. And dang girl...you score when it comes to thrift store shopping! I continue to be amazed at what you find!
Brenna

Beth said...

Looks great Sharon! What a huge job. Our center bedroom (the one that used to house the 3 girls) will be needing this makeover soon. Right now it is a catchall room and we have to push junk out of the way when the kids come to visit so they can have a place to sleep. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...