This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The last fledgling has left the nest....

Yup, the last little birdy has left our nest. I promise this will be my last post about it and then I will move forward with my life! The few days before he left, he staged an area in the living room to organize and pack all of his things for college.
I saw this list and was so pleased to see the item right in the center of his list...Bible! :0)
This is me being weird again. On Friday morning as I was leaving for work I snapped this picture of his little truck in front of the house. I was teary and emotional as I thought, oh my goodness, this is the last day that I go to work and see that little truck parked out front....on Monday when I go to work, it will be gone. Boo-hooo :0(
Friday night we planned a "Good-bye and good luck at college" farewell barbecue with the family. Here are my pride and joy, my four sons, all lined up. What handsome men they are!
I made his favorite meal of barbecued steak, potato salad and baked beans. He ate on the special plate. It was so great to hang out with the whole family. It was wonderful for me to have all my boys and Brittany here together and it was neat for them to all say good-bye to him.
He spent Friday night out in the yard again.
Sobbb, sniff, sniff...
That night Grayson spent the night and went fishing with Eric in the morning, so we babysat his puppy, Layla.
She was standing guard watching over Hayden as he slept! hee hee.
When Hayden woke up, I went out there to visit with him. These moments were very special. We are both so excited for him to go to college and play football, but it's also very sad knowing he's leaving this place that he's lived at his whole life.
It was so sweet to sit there with him watching the dogs play.
It was such a gorgeous morning.
And then MacGyver came over too. I'm so glad that Hayden is soaking in all of these moments too.
Back to work with packing!
That night I went up to his room and laid on his bed and talked with him as he was doing last minute packing.
What a cool teenage room he has.
 All four of our boys at one time or another lived in this room. There are many good memories here!
He had so many things to pack and check off his list.
So many things to think of!
I was looking at all the things on his walls and on his shelves and remembering when he used to play with all these old toys.
Cool stuff.
Great memories.
This time was bittersweet.
I asked him to go out on the front porch with me one last time to watch the sunset. I used to do this with all of my boys. I loved this. We sat out there a bit and talked. This time was so surreal. It was so hard to fathom that he was going to be leaving the next day.
The next morning I woke up to see that everything was packed. He did a great job and he even cleaned and vacuumed his room when he was done!
Me with my Pacific Mom mug spending time in prayer in the morning.
I made him his favorite breakfast. Pancakes with chocolate chips.
And Eric made the bacon.
Blondie and I went upstairs to wake him up one last time.
Such a sweet moment.
Time to eat!
Dad's eggs! Yum!
Then we went to church.
I know I'm weird taking all these pictures, but it helps me process. I loved having all my boys in church with me and one by one, they all started going to different churches. Now Hayden will not be with us any more either. That's one of the top things on his list for college is to get plugged in to a new church up there or at least a Bible study.
Time to pack up. Sniff.
Calling Grandpa Leonard and Grandma Shirley to say "I'm going to college today."
Then he called Grandpa Jim...
...and then Grandma Alice.
We gave him a going away card, which he loved.
Eric is a proud father.
I'm a proud mother.
Hayden saying goodbye to Blondie.
Ready to hit the road.
I drove with Hayden and we followed Eric in the big truck.
It was so hot that day! It was nearly 100 degrees and he does not have air conditioning. We had the windows down and the music blasting. It was priceless mother/son time!
We arrived at the college and had a student/parent/staff dinner and meeting and then we said our good-byes.
I thought I was going to bawl my eyes out, but happily, I didn't. It was really happy and exciting. I also think I was a bit numb.
Oh goodbye my son. I love you so much.
And there he goes through the gateway to college.
I will miss you tremendously. I love you so much and I am so proud of you. Good luck and best wishes at college, I know you will do well. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

The good news, we will see him in three weeks at his first football game! 

I don't want you to think that I am a weirdo stalker mom who can't let go of my son. I am very happy that he is moving on to college and living his dream of playing college football. I also don't want you to think that it's all about Hayden. While this particular time is about Hayden, I believe that all of these strong emotions are coming from the fact that he's the baby and the last one to leave our home. My mind is flooded with memories of when all my sons were little. I love them all equally and am proud of each and every one of them (Click here to read when Cameron Mackenzie and Grayson moved out and what my thoughts were. Please note that for Mackenzie and Cameron's posts, I was brand new to blogging and was not as detailed with their stories as I was with Grayson's and Hayden's). 

Our nest is empty now after having it full for the past 28 years and it's a little hard on this mama bird. Life will go on and we have many great things ahead of us. I just need to get through this transition, which I know I will with the help of the Lord. 

"My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet." Proverbs 3:21-24

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

Cottonwood Tales said...

Dont apologize for loving your boys !! The posting of his (their)moving out helps you get through this ! The greatest thing besides being a daughter of God, is being a mother to good men. (I love my two boys - ages 30 & 27 with all my heart and I know exactly what you are going thru.)

I promise (I think I posted the other day about this), you and your hubby will soon get in a routine that involves just the two of you ! Look at this as a new adventure and stay busy ! Rearrange your house or do something just for yall !

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully done Sharon , please make no apologies for how you feel , everyone feels things in their own way . It will time for you and Eric to get used to the changes in your home . Big Hugs to you for a job well done! Donna

Anonymous said...

Sniff, sniff. This got me so teary eyed. Yes, stay busy, Sharon. If you ever want to talk, Sharon, I am willa_eklund@sbcglobal.net

Grandma Willa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...