This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Carpet disaster!

Oh my word! During my ladies tea, which I blogged about yesterday, I started getting little waves of unpleasant odors. I could not figure out what it was until after the ladies left I started sniffing around. The odor got stronger and stronger in this corner of the living room.
I got on my hands and knees and continued sniffing and was horrified that the smell got stronger and I realized the carpet was wet.
Then it all came back to me! A few days ago when Hayden was doing laundry the controls on the washing machine somehow got stuck and the water never turned off! It just ran and ran and overflowed the washer, then it spilt over the edge and ran into the kitchen and dining room and settled into the living room in this corner! Thankfully we were home when it happened, so we turned off the water, grabbed towels and started cleaning it all up. We thought we got it all, but had no idea all of this water was hidden under the carpet.
It soaked into the wood and was trapped there and started rotting! P....U....!!!! Anyway, I knew the only thing to do was to rip up that carpet and start drying out the floor. Kathi and Vonda were still here after the party, so they helped me.
Carpet is heavy and stiff, so we used heavy objects to hold it down.
Then we placed heaters and fans in the area to dry it out.
I was pleased at how quickly it was drying out.
The biggest problem now? Well, my house looks like this, plus I have a kitchen full of dirty dishes and left over food from the party and I'm having 20 guests over tomorrow for Easter dinner! Augh!!!!
Stress!!! It seems like stuff like this is always happening to us!
I'm hoping and praying that the carpet gets dried by tomorrow morning!
The next morning I was very pleased that it was almost dry. I separated out the carpet pad and carpet and made sure they were really dried out as well. Then I sprinkled carpet fresh all over the wood and carpet pad to make sure the odor was gone.
Our company was coming at 2:00, so I decided to keep the carpet up and the fans on the area until after church. I went ahead and cleaned up the rest of the house and prepared all the Easter food and then we went to church. After church Cameron helped me put everything back.
It was hard to get the carpet pulled down tight.
Cameron was smart and used a board to push all of the carpet to the sides and then we hammered the carpet in place with tack nails. I was so grateful for his help!
We quickly put all the furniture back and vacuumed and a person would never know what had gone on here over the past 24 hours! Whew! What a nightmare! I''m glad that's over!!! Stuff like this is hard in our lives, but you know, our world is not perfect and we have to take the bad things along with the good. I was actually happy that God helped me and I did not freak out. Now it's just a funny story that we share and laugh about. 

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
    Hugs, Sharon

1 comment:

Mardell said...

Oh my! That's awful ~ isn't your washer & dryer brand new? I hope that never happens again! Were you able to detect why it happened?
So glad you were able to get everything dried before company came. Phew!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...