This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, March 5, 2012

My generous Aunt Helen!

 Look what I got in the mail!
 It's a package from my sweet Aunt Helen!
 Aunt Helen is my Daddy's little sister and she has always been such a wonderful aunt to me. Helen and I have many common interests such as thrifting and collecting dishes and other antiques. She lives in Montana, so I don't get to see her very often, but we email each other and she likes to read my blog. Through my blog she has learned that I love to collect vintage cookbooks and she was so thoughtful to pick up a few of them for me that she found at thrift stores! What a sweetheart she is!
I was so excited to open the package and see theses three charming cookbooks!
The first one is called the The New Art which was created by General Electric Kitchen Institute. Notice that the cover is a painter's palette with plates of food for the paint and the fork and spoon for the brushes; isn't that clever! This book was published in 1935.
It has delightful pictures of the "modern" kitchen. Isn't this cute! It reminds me a little bit of my Grandma Jackson's kitchen and also many kitchens that I have seen in the old movies I love to watch from the 30s, 40s and 50s.
The caption reads "Kitchen work will become kitchen play in the new guest room of your home...your General Electric Kitchen." I love the warmth of this one and I especially love the diamond pattern in the window!
This one kind of makes me sad because it's saying that this darling old farm kitchen is out of date. I like it and think it's charming. The caption reads. "BEFORE....The old-fashioned kitchen full of work, crossed and re-crossed with countless steps. The scene of hundreds of lost hours loaded with routine drudgery...the result is lost youth and beauty, and impaired health." Wow, lost beauty health and impaired health! I had no idea a kitchen design could do that to a person!!! Haha!
"AFTER.....The modern General Electric Kitchen--a lifetime investment that pays for itself. Easily one-by-one, each unit can be added one at a time and each helps pay for the next through actual savings effected." Funny, it really has the same design as the "out of date" one above, but it has a few more cabinets.
And here are some beautiful foods that you can make in your modern GE kitchen!
The second book is this darling Raggedy Ann and Andy's Cookbook.
It's a reproduction that was published in 1975, but the illustrations are from 1924-1940.
Raggedy Ann was created by Johnny Gruelle in 1915 first as a doll and then introduced as a book in 1918.
I just love these illustrations! They are so detailed and so colorful.
This is so cute with the girls busy in the kitchen!
Raggedy Ann and Andy are visiting their little mouse friend, Gran'ma Mouse.
Here's the caption with that picture. It's so sweet. I loved reading sweet and uplifting stories like this to my children, although I must admit I never read them the Raggedy Ann stories.
I love this sweet picnic illustration!
And look at this fabulous party with everyone from the neighborhood!
I did a little research on Raggedy Ann to write this post and I was sad to hear the story behind Mr. Gruell. Please read this excerpt I found on Wikipedia:

"Gruelle created Raggedy Ann for his daughter, Marcella, when she brought him an old hand-made rag doll and he drew a face on it. From his bookshelf, he pulled a book of poems by James Whitcomb Riley and combined the names of two poems, 'The Raggedy Man' and 'Little Orphant Annie.' He said, 'Why don’t we call her Raggedy Ann?' Marcella died at age 13 after being vaccinated at school for smallpox without her without her parents' consent. Authorities blamed a heart defect, but her parents blamed the vaccination. Gruelle became an opponent of vaccination, and the Raggedy Ann doll was used as a symbol by the anti-vaccination movement."
I never knew that there was such a sad story behind these charming dolls and stories. 

The last book Aunt Helen sent me is this delightful cookbook from Ideals magazine called Grandma's Country Cooking. Recently I have started to collect Ideals magazines from the 1970s because they are filled with beautiful pictures and lovely poems. Helen took note of that and picked up this darling cookbook for me!
I love that it's stamped at the top with "Compliments of Greenfield Farmers Oil Co., Fairfield, Montana."
I am starting to really love illustrations of kitchens from the 70s. This is the time period that I was a young lady starting to dream about someday getting married. I babysat at many homes of young mothers who had really cute and cozy homes with kitchens in either the bright colors of lemon yellow, lime green and orange orange and also.......
...kitchens designed with the Early American style in the browns and blues with country accents.
I got engaged in 1980 and started filling my hope chest. I was dreaming of making my husband a meal like this and presenting it on pretty dishes like these!
I also picked up several cheap, magazine-type, cookbooks at dime-stores like Newberry's and Woolworth's that had illustrations so similar to these and I would dream about being married one day!
These pictures give me "warm fuzzies"!
Mmmm! Don't those look good!
Now that we are almost empty-nesters, pictures like this give me excitement and remind me of our newlywed days! I have been sad about my kids growing up, but this is one area that I am looking forward to with my husband!
I would love to make this pretty jelly roll and have this beautiful dish set laid out for a couple of girlfriends for coffee and a good old hen talk! Maybe I can do this for my Aunt Helen next time she visits Oregon!
Thank you Aunt Helen so much for thinking of me and sending me these delightful cookbooks! I love them all and I love you! The scripture below is dedicated to you, you have truly been a Titus 2 woman! Thank you!

"Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers.  Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God." Titus 2:3-5

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Mardell said...

How very sweet!! I love old cookbooks too. I grew up in the seventies & I can totally relate to those photographs! Enjoy your new books.

A Romantic Porch said...

James Whitcomb Riley was born right here in our little town and his historical birthplace on main street is a tourist attraction. His statue is on our courthouse square. Little Orphant' Annie was a maid in the household he grew up in (if I remember correctly) and around here it is told that she is the "person" behind the Raggedy Ann doll. So I guess your information add a little more detail to the story. Most people have no idea how famous James Whitcomb Riley was back in his day. Thank you! xorachel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...