This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Friday, January 20, 2012

Sweet little choirgirl....

I found this sweet little choirgirl at a thrift store over the Christmas season.
I immediately fell in love with her pretty little face.
She was handmade by someone, probably in the 70s through a ceramics class. I think they did a great job on painting her beautiful little face.
I thought she was spendy at $14.99, especially from a thrift store and for something I really didn't need, so I asked the store owner if he could go down a little on the price. I was so happy when he said, "Sure! How about 50% off?" I quickly responded "You've got yourself a deal!" So lesson learned...don't be shy about asking for a discount, the worst they can do is say no, but you might end up getting a great deal!
I was excited that I saw she has candlesticks in her hands to hold candles. This brought to mind a darling choirboy lamp that I saw once before.
Isn't he precious! I found these pictures of him over at Aunt Ruthie's blog, Sugar Pie Farmhouse. Click
here to go visit her blog. She is such a lovely Christian woman who puts her family first and she has such an inspirational, encouraging blog. She was so sweet and gave me permission to use these photos.
Her little guy is quite a bit bigger and oh so fabulous, the minute I saw him on her blog I fell in love with him and have kept my eyes peeled to find a similar one.  Even though I have found my sweet little choirgirl, I am still going to be on the hunt for one like Aunt Ruthie's. By the way, isn't Ruthie's home beautiful!
Well, I am just thrilled with my little choirgirl, the only problem is that she holds real candles, which need to be lit with a real flame and I was concerned about them falling over. I was hoping that I could convert them over to electric fake candles somehow. I decided to ask my number three son, Grayson, since he is the inventor and he knows electricity and wiring!
So, on Christmas day after we ate breakfast and opened presents, I asked Grayson if he could help me.
He immediately took it out to his Dad's workbench and started working on it.
I found two plug in "fake" candles and he took them off of their bases....
....cut the wires....
...and he worked the wires through the statue...soon to be lamp!
He had to cut the candles down a bit because the cords were not long enough...
...then he ran into a problem of the hole not being big enough to get the wire through....
"No problem" he says, "I'll just drill it out"
He was very diligent...
...and very careful...
...and he fixed her up perfectly for me! I was so grateful to Grayson for helping me he did such a great job! I am so proud of him for not only being so knowledgeable and skilled, but for being so quick to help me!
I put her next to the fireplace where she warmed up this little corner.
She's perfect for Christmas, but....
...I think I might keep my little girl up year round! I think she also would be super cute in a baby nursery or child's bedroom....maybe someday when I get grandchildren!!! :0)
Isn't she so precious!
I love the fake wax dripping down the candles.
I'm really thankful that she's now electric and I can keep her lit all evening without worries of having an open flame.
What a pretty little thing she is!
As Aunt Ruthie would say, "Oh honey"

"Then Jesus spoke to them again saying, 'I am the light of the world.  He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”  John 8:12 

Hugs, Sharon

5 comments:

Mardell said...

Good morning Sharon,
Well my goodness your choir girl is adorable! She deserves a name...put your thinking cap on! :o) Can't imagine why anyone would donate her? Whoever made her really did a beautiful job. I think it's fantastic that Grayson was able to wire her up. I don't blame you for wanting to keep (insert name here) up year round. :o)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Are you getting alot of wintry weather?

Bree said...

I love the choir girl but totally understand the candles/open flame thing. What a talented son you have! How nice that he took the time to help his mama!
Bree

Sue said...

Your choirgirl is beautiful, Sharon,and what a fine job, Grayson did. The expressions on his face while working is priceless! ~smile~ I like the idea of keeping her out.
I too have been looking for a choirboy since Ruthie shared hers, I also enjoy her blog so much.

Enjoyed catching up on some previous posts.
Enjoy your weekend.
Sue

as always starzie said...

Again I can't believe what you find at the thrift stores! This choirgirl is precious! I love the way Grayson converted her to the electric candles!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Darlene

jAne said...

she's beautiful and her beauty increased by how your handsome and capable son fixed her right up! wow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...