This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, January 16, 2012

Everything but the kitchen sink stew....

This is a great idea that my co-worker, Sarah, told me about. She said that every so often, especially after big holiday meals, she cleans out the fridge and dumps everything into the crock pot to make a stew. She calls it Everything But The Kitchen Sink Stew!
I decided to try it! First I cleaned out the refrigerator and grouped together all the food that I thought I could put in the stew.
For the base I used cheese soup mix and chicken broth.
I mixed them and put them in the crock pot and then I started adding everything except the kitchen sink!
We had left over pork steak, which I chopped up.
I added some chopped up chicken.
Chopped up onion.
Left over Rice-A-Roni.
Left over stuffing.
Even left over green bean casserole!
I added fresh mushrooms.
Then I added about 8 cups of water.
Mmmm! It's looking great!
Then I added chopped carrots.
And of course garlic!!!
I stirred it all together and then....
...added left over fried onions.
I put the lid on the crock pot and....
....turned it on. I will let it sit on the counter all day.
Meanwhile, I thought that fresh bread would be delicious with my stew, so I dusted off the old bread maker.
I looked through the little booklet that came with my bread maker and...
...decided to make Garlic-Herb bread.
I started with 1 1/4 cup of warm water,
added 1 T butter,
added garlic,
then 3-1/4 cup flour,
a tablespoon of sugar,
1/2 teaspoon rosemary,
1/4 teaspoon thyme,
1/4 teaspoon basil,
and lastly, a packet of rapid rise yeast.
I put it in the bread maker...
...made all my selections and....
...set the timer. Now I'm going to town to get my hair done! I'll be back in a few hours!
I'm back and my house smells fantastic! The breads done!
Look at that!
It turned out perfect!
Home made stew with home made bread! Delicious!
The stew looks fantastic!
It smells wonderful too!
The bread turned out light and tastes wonderful.
Now that's what I call a hearty meal!
Not only does it look good and taste good, but...
....it was easy and economical!
A win/win!!!
I will be making this dinner again!

"The righteous shall be glad in the Lord, and trust in Him. And all the upright in heart shall glory." Psalm 64:10

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

Carol said...

I'm so happy you shared these yummy recipes! Can't wait to try them!

Smiles,
Carol

bree said...

A warning would have been nice! That looks like a delicious dinner...drooling....
Bree

~JoAnn~ said...

Sharon~ That is a wonderful idea tell your friend thanks for giving it to you and thanks to you for sharing it on your blog. I love to make homemade bread and was happy to see you use a bread machine also. I have had mine for 12 years and it still works great. I dont' have the needed strength to knead bread anymore and this does it for me. Thanks again, Blessings,JOann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...