This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving morn...

I love Thanksgiving mornings! It's just so fun knowing that there is a really fun family day ahead of me! I started it out with a nice brisk walk with my friend, Shelley. We actually had frost on our house this morning!
When I got back from my walk I had a little devotional time with the Lord.
And what a perfect passage I found today!
A Psalm of thanksgiving!

"Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him and bless His name. For the Lord is good!" Psalm 104-5
Then I looked through all the adds in the paper! There are a ton of them today1!!
We are having Thanksgiving dinner at my sister, Kathi's, house and I am bringing a pumpkin pie and ambrosia salad. I need to get busy!
First I'll make the pie.
I use the Better Homes and Garden's pie pastry recipe. It's pretty simple.
First you mix the dry ingredients and then cut in the shortening until the flour is the size of small peas.
Then slowly add the water and mix until the dough becomes smooth.
Spray a nonstick pan spray in your pie dish so that the pie crust won't stick after it's baked.
Sprinkle flour on your counter so you can flatten your dough without it sticking.
First place the dough on the counter and flatten down by hand.
Then use your rolling pin to roll out your dough to about 1/8th of an inch.
Place the dough in the prepared pie dish.
Cut the excess off the sides.
My dough was not cooperating with me and it kept breaking.
I used the excess dough to patch it up.
Then I folded over the edges...
...and gave them the fluted look....
...it turned out pretty good!
Okay, now that that's done, it's time to make the filling.
Add sugar and spices to canned pumpkin and.....
...stir until completely mixed.
Then add three eggs.
I like to put them in a bowl to beat them, but first I do a little trick that my Mama taught me. I get a spoon and remove the membrane or whatever you call the white gooey stuff.
Then I beat the eggs thoroughly and....
....and add them to the pumpkin mix.

Then add the sweetened milk and a little salt.
Stir until completely mixed and carefully pour into the pie shell.
Put foil all around the edge.
Place in the oven at 350 degrees...
...for 25 minutes.
Then remove the foil and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes.
When the buzzer goes off, place a knife in the pie to make sure it's done.
Ooops....there's pie filling on the knife, it needs to bake a few more minutes.
Now that's more like it! It's done!!! I like to serve it with whipped cream on top! Oh my goodness, it's so delicious!
Now, onto Mom's traditional Ambrosia salad! It's also known as Five-Cup salad and it's also in the Better Homes and Garden cookbook.
It's so easy! Just 1 cup of mini marshmallows, 1 cup of shredded coconut, 1 cup of mandarin oranges, 1 cup of pineapple chunks and 1 cup of sour cream.
Pour ingredients into a large bowl...
...and stir until completely mixed.
It's so delicious and it's a tradition! It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it! 

Well,now that I'm done in the kitchen, I need to hit the showers and then we are driving to my sister's house! Come back tomorrow to read about our wonderful Thanksgiving!

"I will give to the Lord the thanks that He is due for His righteousness and justice, and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High." Psalm7:17

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

jAne said...

i've added your ambrosia to my list of things to make. :o) thanks!

as always starzie said...

Hi Sharon!
Just wanted to wish you and your sweet family a most Blessed Thanksgiving! And that pie looks yummy! Nothing like homemade pie crust!
Hugs,
Darlene

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...