This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Grandma Florence's famous cookies!

 This is my husband's sweet grandmother, Florence. She was Eric's father's mother. She was full-blooded Scottish and had a very thick accent. I loved her, she was awesome. She was old fashioned and modern at the same time. She had a great laugh. Eric loved her too and he loved her famous oatmeal cookies. I remember back when we were first dating and she would make them and bring them to him when she came down to visit. She died in 1998.
I forgot all about her cookies until we were at Eric's mom's house this past spring and I was helping her cook and needed to get in her recipe box. I was so thrilled when I found Grandma Florence's famous cookie recipe!
 I snapped some pictures of the recipe so that I could make the cookies for my husband!
 So, after all these years, I attempted to make Eric's grandma's cookies. First you take 1/2 cup of shortening and combine with...
 ..1/2 cup of sugar. Stir until combined.
 Then add 2 beaten eggs and....
...1/4 cup of milk and stir.
 Then add the dry ingredients, 2 Cups of flour.....
....2 cups of oatmeal.....
...1 teaspoon baking soda...
....1 teaspoon cinnamon and....
.....1/2 teaspoon salt.
Then add 1 cup of raisins or 1 cup of chocolate chips. Eric said he wanted raisins.
 Stir until....
.....completely mixed.
Drop onto a greased cookie sheet.
 Bake at 375 for ten minutes.
 Keep hubby away from the bowl of cookie dough! haha!
 He LOVES cookie dough!
 Mmmm! They're done!
 Okay, it's the moment of truth......
 Here you go honey....
 .....give them a taste and let me know how I did.
 He is sooo funny!
 He made a yucky face like they tasted horrible just to tease me and make me laugh.
 But, the proof's in the empty plate! He loved them. He said they were good, but not quite like Grandma's.
 That's okay, I figured with the different brand names of baking goods since those days that it could have altered the taste. I think I will try them again and maybe tweak the recipe a bit to get that old fashioned taste that he remembers.
Grandma Florence holding baby Cameron August 1986
But then again, maybe I should just let it be. No one can touch a boy's grandma's cookies!

"Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

Hugs, Sharon

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Sweet story. Nothing like a wonderful grandma! I have fond memories of my grandmother too and her wonderful cooking. I always enjoy your blog. I read it everyday, but don't always comment;-) Have a super day! Blessings...<><

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...