This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, October 24, 2011

Oktoberfest!

We got invited to an Oktoberfest party!
How fun! I've never been to one! The host and hostess, our friends, Mark and Peggy, sent a cute invitation and asked each person to bring a side dish. I wanted to make a traditional German dish, but didn't know what to make!
I searched the net and found this potato dish that looked interesting....it's called German Potato Casserole.
First you take 5 pounds of red potatoes....
....peel them and cut them into 1/2 inch cubes.
Then you cook a pound of bacon...
...and boil 8 eggs (I boiled extra to make egg salad sandwiches!).
Then you boil the potatoes. I added a couple of tablespoons of minced onion to the water.
Cut the cooked bacon into small pieces.
Cut 1 pound of Velveeta into small cubes.
Peel and chop the boiled eggs.
When the potatoes are tender, drain them and place them in a very large bowl. Add 1 large chopped onion, the boiled eggs and bacon.
Mix thoroughly and let it sit.
Meanwhile, combine 1-1/2 cups of mayonnaise....
...3 tablespoons of cider vinegar....
....2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.....
....and 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings together.
Stir together until it's thoroughly mixed.
Stir into the potato mixture and making sure to coat the potatoes evenly.
Place half of the potato mixture into a greased 13x9 Pyrex dish, top with cheese, then top with the remaining potato mix and top with the remaining cheese.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Mmmmm! This sure looks good! I hope it tastes good! They asked us to just bring one dish, but I decided to go ahead and make a dessert as well.
I picked some fresh pears from our little orchard the other day and I wanted to use them in a recipe.
I found a recipe on line for  an Oatmeal Apple Pear Crisp.
I thought that it looked good and easy!
The recipe called for 2 cups of peeled and sliced apples and 2 cups of peeled and sliced pears. I was using the apple slicer/corer on the pears and it was not working very well, they were slipping all over the place, so I wised up!
I put started the slicer going upside down and then I simply pushed down on it.
The pears came right up through the top of the slicer and it worked out perfect! No more slipping!
After peeling and slicing the fruit, just spread them out evenly in a 13x9 dish.
I sprinkled on 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.....
.....and 1-1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon nutmeg.
To this I added 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 3/4 cup of water.
For the topping I mixed 1 cup of oats, 1/3 cup of flour, 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt with 1/2 cup of melted butter. I stirred it until it was crumbly and then sprinkled it on top of the apples and pears. I baked it at 375 for 35 minutes.
Mmmmm! It looks delicious and smells wonderful! Okay, now that the cooking is done, lets get to the party!
Here's the host and hostess, Mark and Peggy! They are posing in these funny cut-outs!
This is the same place that Sarah's wedding was at (read yesterday's post). Isn't it a gorgeous place!
They have it decorated so fun and festive!
They served brats and kraut and had everyone else bring the side dishes. What a pretty setting this is!
Needless to say, there was tons of food there!
The tables were all decorated so cute!
I love these pretzels bouquets! They are giant pretzels on sticks and they were party favors for the guests!
They had a little polka band playing traditional German polka music!
Mmmm! Look at all this delicious food!
Aren't these candles cute! They look exactly like a glass of beer!
They had a nice turn out!
I like all the Oktoberfest flags and lights hanging across the ceiling.
Peggy gave a nice speech and then the dancing started!
Well, this was my first Oktoberfest and I loved it! What a great night we had! We are blessed with great friends! 

P.S. The potatoes turned out fantastic!!! The apple/pear crisp was okay, but I thought the crust should have been sweeter. I think I will keep looking for a better recipe! Both of my dishes got eaten up though! :0)

"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy." Job 8:21

Hugs, Sharon

1 comment:

Mrs. Preston said...

Blessings to you and your beautiful family Sharon! This is Mrs. preston. I don't know if you remember but I would comment at the sparrows nest blog a couple of years ago under "Joy".

I started blogging but was very inconsistent. It's hard to find time with 4 kids. I hope to keep up as I can mainly as you are doing as a diary to keep some treasured recipes and homemaking tips for my girls to read someday. I need to get a better camera for pictures to post but I still not comfortable posting pics of our family yet. My husband thinks it's funny that im so paranoid but maybe soon I feel comfortable. lol! ;)

These recipe look great and Im enjoying taking sometime to see all the blessings God has brought and continue to bring your way!

God bless you richly!

Mrs. Preston ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...