This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, October 3, 2011

Mom's apple pie!

My mom is an excellent baker and she is known for her delicious cookies and, especially, her delicious pies. I have seen my mother make pies and I have eaten them, but we have never made a pie together, so I scheduled a day to go over and make apple pie with my mama!
Daddy was so sweet and he peeled all the apples for us!
I love my Daddy's strong hands!
Here's my mother's vintage Better Homes and Garden cook book. She got this when she was a young bride and has used it all of these years.
Mama looking through her cook book to find the apple pie recipe.
 I love it that it is so tattered and worn.
Many recipes were made from this book with love for our family!
She even had to reinforce the holes on pages! I love all of the handwritten notes she has written in the margins. This book is very special to my sisters and I. We have already talked about it and we said that one day we will all share it and rotate it between us just like we will do with our Daddy's Bible.
Here's the apple pie recipe that she uses.  She has added some notes: add raisins, use 8 local apples, 1-1/2 cup sugar rather than 3/4 to 1 cup, 3 tablespoons flour rather than just 2 tablespoons and she put a plus symbol next to the cinnamon meaning, add more than just 1 teaspoon. The first step is to peel and slice 5-7 tart apples and put them in a large mixing bowl.
It's always fun to go home and visit my parents. This is the house that I grew up in. We moved to this house when I was just two years old. They have done some updates, but most of the kitchen has remained the same since 1963. I love the old white speckled Formica counter tops. I also love her old sugar canister. When my mother was a young bride, her kitchen colors were pink and gray.
The next step is to add 1-1/2 cups of sugar to the apples.
Then add the spices.
Mom has done this so many times, she doesn't need to use measuring spoons. I love her hands.
Stir the apple mixture and set aside.
Meanwhile, we will make the pie crust.
Mom makes the best pie crusts and she uses the plain pastry recipe in the Better Homes and Garden cook book. Today we are making a double-crust.
I love her old tin measuring cup that she just leaves in her flour bin.
I love these old measuring spoons! She didn't need to use them, but I did! We mixed 2-1/2 cups of flour with 1 teaspoon salt.
Then we cut in 2/3 cup of  shortening to the flour mix until the pieces were the size of small peas. To this we added 6-8 tablespoons of water and mixed until it was all moistened.
Mom's vintage rolling pin! I love the red handles!
We formed the dough into two equal balls and placed one ball on a lightly floured tea towel.
Then we rolled it flat with the rolling pin to the size of about 12 inches in diameter.
I remember seeing my mama do this when I was a little girl.
I like her little trick of rolling the dough onto the rolling pin and then carrying it over to the pie pan and unrolling it. This is a great way to move the dough without stretching or tearing it.
Mmmm! The apples and raisins have been sitting for awhile soaking in all the sugar. The last step is to dot the fruit mix with butter.
She poured the apple mix on top of the pie crust that was in the pie plate.
Then topped it with the second pie crust.
Next she seals the sides with a fluted edge.
I love how she does this. We both made pies and my edges just didn't quite look the same as hers!
The next step is to poke the top with a fork to create little vents so it won't bubble over. The last step is to cover the edges with strips of foil.
Pop in the oven at 375 for 25 minutes, then remove foil from the edges and bake for 20-25 minutes more or till crust is brown.
Mmmmm! It looks delicious!
Look at that gorgeous flaky crust! I love my mother's silver serving spatula.
Oh my goodness, it is so delicious! There is nothing like Mom's homemade apple pie!
I love my Mama and I am so happy that we had this fun day together!

"Likewise, tell the older women to be reverent in their behavior, teaching what is good, rather than being gossips or addicted to heavy drinking. That way they can mentor young women to love their husbands and children, and to be sensible, morally pure, working at home, kind and submissive to their own husbands, so that God’s word won’t be ridiculed." Titus 2:3-5

Hugs, Sharon

4 comments:

jAne said...

your mother is so pretty, sharon. what a sweet time making pie and sharing hearts. great recipe! looks SO delish.

jen said...

Thank you for this lovely post and sharing this time with us - very touching and a reminder to cherish our parents-
All the best
Jen in vancouver

Rosie said...

Love this....reminds me of how many times I have gotten together with my own mom to make pies...she always made it look so easy, and her crust was always the best!

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
I hope you had a lovely weekend. It's so wonderful that you and your sweet Mom got together to make a delicious pie. My mom is 75 and also makes terrific pies! Must be that generation. I have never learned from her, and after this post, I need to do it w/her soon ~ esp. since we're in apple heaven here in NY. My mom still has her Betty Crocker cookbook that she rec'd. as a wedding gift! I have a tin measuring cup JUST like your mom's ~ it's in my sugar cannister. Found it in the trash where I used to work (an aluminum recycling bin.) Hee hee. I love it.

Oh, before I forget, my mom brushes the top crust w/milk and sprinkles with a bit of sugar. Yum yum. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...