This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm late! I'm late! I'm late!

 Oh, I've done it again!
 I made a foolish decision and now I'm late! It's 7:21 and I still have ten more minutes of driving before I get home and I still need to make dinner!
 You see, what happened was, I had a 5:00 meeting at my job headquarters about 15 minutes from home. The meeting got over at 6:15. I should have gotten right on the road and headed for home so I could make dinner for my family. But nooooo, not me! I figured I had time to stop at Goodwill before I headed for home. Well, guess what? I spent too much time (surprise, surprise she says sarcastically) at Goodwill! (I did find some good treasures though!)
Oh my goodness, it's already getting dark!
I better get home.
 Oh, oh, my phone's ringing! It's Eric. I pulled over to talk to him.
 It's my hubby. He's wondering where I'm at. I told him I stopped at a thrift store and I'm almost home. He was in a great mood and said, "Okay, we'll see ya soon!" Whew! I dodged a bullet, but I don't like it that I do things like this! I don't like it that he had to call and see where I was at. I should have been home an hour ago happily singing and cooking in my kitchen!
 I am sooo blessed with my good-natured, easy going husband. He never puts pressure on me to have dinner ready by a certain time. This is more of a pressure I put on myself. Actually, maybe that's why he doesn't pressure me because I am usually really good about having dinner planned and done every night and he never has to worry about it. Tonight I really wanted to be home by 6:30 and have dinner done by 7:00. My husband needs to get up at 4:30, so it's important that he eats early and gets to bed early. I love him and I want to take good care of him.
 Finally, I'm home!
 Thank goodness I planned a quick and easy dinner! Spaghetti with tomato sauce and fresh stir-fried zucchini and squash.
 Phew....dinner's ready and it all worked out. No cranky husband, no cranky kids.
Hmmmm.....what could have I done differently to avoid this situation? It's really good to look upon bad situations and critique them and try to learn from them, and do better next time. So this is what I learned:

1. Next time I have an evening meeting like that at the corporate office. I am going to have my dinner made before I leave. I will probably use the crock-pot, but I could also make something like a casserole or meatloaf and put it in the oven and leave instructions for Eric or one of the boys to take it out of the oven.

2. Plan ahead for my husband to barbecue that night and have the side dishes prepared in advance.

3. Bring home fast food. I normally don't do this, but once in awhile it's fun.

4. DO NOT go shopping at Goodwill afterwards!!! However, if I am tempted to go to Goodwill after the meeting, I should only do so if I have dinner prepared in advance!

Wives, it is important that we take good care of our husbands! Especially if you are a full-time housewife. If you work, than I am sure that you have something arranged with your man on what duties you do around the house and what duties he does. In our home, I work part-time and we have agreed that I make dinner, which I actually love, and I am blessed because he recently has really gotten into barbecuing and smoking meats, so he often times makes dinner! I do the meal planning and grocery shopping and I also clean the house. He works full-time, pays all the bills, does the outside jobs and maintains and washes the vehicles.

I don't like feeling the way I did on this night and hopefully it won't happen again. Here's to better planning and to learning lessons!

"Look carefully how you walk, not as unwise, but as wise, making the best use of your time." Ephesians 5:15-16

Hugs, Sharon

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Well,its just me at home these days but,I so needed that scripture...I tend to procrastinate these days because there is no one to wait on..I put off again and again those needful things...I still have a duty to my home and my Lord...and need to be prepared when those grown children and grand babies drop in :)
A great post Sharon....So what did you find at GW? You must let us see :)

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
You got a chuckle out of me w/this post. Esp. the frantic looking pics of you! LOL You amaze me w/that camera of yours. Love it.

Yes, please don't leave us in the dark at what you found. I spy an enamel ware pan...what else? I have one similar to that, only it's oblong. I had my husband drill holes in the bottom and it now houses "hens & chicks." Even have a vintage rooster salt (or pepper?) shaker in the middle. Cute.

Well, even tho you made it home late, you sure whipped up an amazing dinner. Yes, I'd say next time, go the crock pot route. :o) Of course all of your ideas sound spectacular.

jAne said...

i've been guilty of just this thing more than a few times, truth be told. i too have an easy going hubby - so thankful! i sure don't take him for granted! your dinner looks amazing and i'm sure delish. you've given really important reminders as to our roles and ways we can meet those necessary demands... :o)

Rose of Sharon said...

Hi friends! Since you've asked...I found a wonderful large white enamelware pot, a neat transferware turkey platter - the kind you see everywhere, but it's smaller, so I was really excited, some vintage coffee cups from the 60s that my sister and I started collecting, a pair of Anne Taylor slacks for work and a cute top! I was really pushing myself to the limits though and lost track of time. I felt guilty afterwards!

Hope all of you have great days!

Hugs,Sharon

Kathi said...

Sharon, this is such a cute post about you being late home for dinner. This sounds just like me, only I am worse. I agree that I need to plan like the way you said you would do next time. I love you, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...