This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

He aint heavy, he's my brother...

This little moment in time shared between my two youngest sons really warmed my heart. It happened a few weeks ago. I took this first picture through the screen door because I didn't want to open the door and have them hear me and see me and move suddenly. I ended up going out there and they didn't even move. I just quietly walked all around them and snapped pictures. Haha...they are so used to me taking photos, they just ignore me!
They are both growing up so fast. Our home was once filled with four teen aged boys, but four years ago the older two boys, Mackenzie and Cameron, moved out and we just had the younger two, Grayson and Hayden, here with us. Grayson was just 16 at that time and Hayden was just 14. Now they are so grown up now, they are no longer "the little boys" as we always used to call them.
These two brothers are like any other typical set of brothers. They love each other, but it doesn't always show. Well, actually it shows, but sometimes they fight and they don't appreciate each other. Sometimes they get along great and I hear them upstairs laughing and helping each other in little ways.
They have their own secret brother language and codes that I don't understand, it's part of the secret man code that us girls don't know, you know what I mean....like how a noogie is a way that they express love.
Well, on this particular day, Hayden had some time to kill before he had to go to work and he was out on the back deck shooting his little Airsoft BB gun.
Grayson is buying a house and the paperwork is scheduled to close in a couple of weeks, meaning he will get the keys to his new house and he will be moving out sometime towards the end of October. He was supposed to be cleaning his room and packing boxes on this day, but instead, he obviously decided to take a break and hang out with Hayden on the back deck.
When I walked by and saw them both just hanging out and shooting the gun and talking, I snapped these pictures. As a mom with kids that have grown waaayyyy to fast, I knew that I should jump on this photo op!
To me this is more than just two brothers chilling out together, I know what they are really doing. The reality that Grayson is moving out is hitting both of them and in their own way, in the secret guy world, they are hanging out saying they care for each other and that they will miss each other.
For me it was really special and I think it was for them too.
They hung out together for about an hour. I finally sat out there and joined them. Grayson started reminiscing about all the fun they had as kids and all the good memories we all had out in that back yard. We all started sharing memories. I think it is really hitting Grayson that he will no longer be living here and he will be leaving his old childhood home.  After awhile, they both mentioned that they were hungry and asked me if I would please make them sandwiches for old time sake like I used to when they were little boys. Of course, I was more than happy to do that for them!
Yep, we have more changes on the horizon in our home with Grayson moving out and spontaneous brother times like this will no longer happen. I am so glad I was here to see this and that I was able to snap some pictures of it. It has been hard on me going through all the changes of my wonderful boys growing up and leaving the nest. I have been hit hard with waves of very strong emotions and I never quite know when it's going to hit. I can get really down and cry all the time. I don't want it to happen again.  I know that them growing up, moving out and starting their own lives is inevitable and it's really what's best for them and it's what we all want, but it's hard on a mom's heart. I know that I have so much to look forward to, but these waves of sadness just come over me at the least expected time and I can't control them. I am actually afraid of them. I am praying to God to give me strength if they hit me and I'm actually praying that God will prevent them from even happening to me. Maybe the worst is behind me!
However, I do want to mention that God has blessed me and was so good to me when He answered my prayers of Grayson living at home until Hayden was a senior. Grayson actually wanted to move out about a year and a half ago, but he decided to stay home and save his money to buy a house. I didn't want to force Grayson to stay at home, but both Eric and I liked it that our older two boys stayed home until they were over 21, we felt like it helped them be a little more grounded and strong out in that big old world! I was also praying this because I didn't want Hayden to feel like he was abandoned by his brothers and that he was now an only child. I am so thankful that they have had these extra years together. Hayden is now 18 and he has really matured and he has many great, great memories with all of his brothers!
I pray that I won't be a crying mess when Gray moves out. Right now I'm thinking I'll be okay. He's almost 21, he's mature, he has a fabulous job, he's responsible, he's ready and it just feels like it's time. I know he will do great. I really don't want to get the blues and go into a funk. I am praying that God will help me. 

In the meantime, I am thankful that we get to enjoy him around here! I am thankful that the boys get to enjoy each other a for a few more weeks and that they can have times together like they did on this day. Thank you God for this little golden nugget in time. 

"Love one another with brotherly affection, giving precedence and showing honor to one another." Romans 12:10

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

jen said...

Aww thanks for this post- you must be very proud of all your sons - they seem very mature and caring of one another. Sending you my prayers -
Jen in Vancouver

Unknown said...

Sharon,

I don't know if you remember me or not. I am the Christian woman who has now been married 36 years. I am GrandmaWilla. We have 3 sons who are happily married and almost have 7 grandchildren. I signed out of blogger awhile ago because of computer issues. But I read your blog almost daily. I have always enjoyed it so much - I decided to sign back into blogger to be able to respond to your blogs - but I don't really understand that much about how to set up a blog myself.

So much has happened in life since I last wrote you. We have 4 granddaughters, ages, almost 6, almost 5, 3 and 2. We have almost 3grandsons, ages 3, 1 and one to be born next month. So we have a very, very busy life with them and my Mom who is 79.

I really had to write to you when I read today's blog. I so know what you are going through. Our 3 sons all stayed at home while going to college - two of them were 21 and one was 24 when they moved out. One transferred to a state university two hours away to finish his degree. But I was so thankful that they stayed home to finish maturing and they were also more rooted and grounded by then. Two of them moved out of the house to be married and the other one that transferred, married in his last year of college. It is such a huge transition. But you will get past the emotions. Soon they will all be established and once those grandchildren come along - you won't know what hit you.

But it is so hard at times - the Lord will sustain you though. He is our hope. He will never leave us nor forsake us. I do miss the boys being at home. They were so close as are your sons. I cherish those times we they would sit and talk to each other. Sometimes my husband and I were included in those last talks and sometimes not.
We had some really in depth discussions about faith and then about old times, too.

Now, it is so much fun to hear them talk about life at work, church, their faith, politics, and also about the GRANDCHILDREN. Love it. Now, we are mostly called to watch the kids. We cherish these times together. It touches our hearts and we hold dear that they are training up children in the way that they should go. To hear them call us Grandma and Grandpa is like gold to us. One even calls me Grandma Willa.

But there are the difficult seasons, too - work situations. But mostly giving the love and attention needed to our elders in their waning years. My dad passed away almost 4 years ago. My Mom has several health issues. I know what you are going through. My Mom lives alone but needs alot of our physical support of love. So difficult at times - but we love her so.

Anyway, this has been a long introduction back - but I loved your post on the apple pie baking. I may have to do that with my Mom. She was the pie maker, too. In the last few years, we get them from Marie Callendars or Coco's. I need to bring the tradition back.

Thank you for your blog. Even though I am older than you, I so appreciate your mentoring the younger women. Just what Titus 2 tells us to do.

Rose of Sharon said...

Hi Willow! I remember you! :0) Thank you so much for writing and encouraging me through all this! Wow! You are so blessed with all those grandbabies! It sounds like all your kids are just doing so well. You are truly blessed. I know what you mean with aging parents. It is difficult. We are right in the middle of major changes this time in our life. It is important that us women to reach out and encourage and inspire one another through these difficult times. It is neat to know that there are many neat blessings ahead! I can't wait for grand kids!!!

I hope you will start blogging again, I would love to hear about your life!

Hugs, Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...