This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fun gifts from my sisters!

Kathi, Kelli and Sharon
I recently celebrated my 50th birthday and had a big party with family and friends, and I will be posting about it tomorrow, but I wanted to quickly show you what my two beautiful sisters gave me for gifts at my birthday party.
Kelli gave me a gift bag full of fun goodies! It had candy and magazines and a bookmark as well as these two gorgeous handmade flannel pillowcases. I love them! She is such a good seamstress and she did beautiful work. I am thrilled to have them, not only because they are so cute and comfy, but they are made by Kelli's own two hands!
She also gave me a home-made candle that she made! Kelli just started learning how to make candles and I am so impressed! I asked her if she would help me learn how to make them.
It smells so good and is so pretty.
I love it that it's in an old canning jar and she pointed out to me that it is a Good Housekeeping canning jar, who also made the darling antique book that was tucked into my basket as well....
Isn't this adorable! I just love this book! It's called "The Good Housekeeping Housekeeping Book" and it's full of ideas on homemaking for the young bride.
Every chapter has a darling picture of a young housewife doing different chores such as washing clothes, ironing, doing dishes, etc. As soon as I opened it and saw this darling picture of this young wife hanging her laundry, I was hooked!
Here's a cute lady ironing.
It also has a chapter on how to take care of clothes called "Good Habits in Caring for Clothes and Accessories."
They taught young women so many neat things back then, it is really sad that homemaking classes and books have disappeared. This information is so helpful! Here's a chapter called, "You can Fix it Yourself" which is all about how to use tools and repair things. Look at her darling outfit with the plaid skirt, the big wide leather belt and soft yellow cashmere sweater; she's so cute! I don't think I would ever work out in the garage in an outfit like that though! :0)
Here's a chapter on a subject that is never really talked about any more, "Moving Day made Easier and How to Close a House." It's interesting to see that she's packing dishes into an old wooden barrel! My have times changed.

I love all of my gifts from Kelli and I am so very blessed to have her for my big sister!
Kathi was soooo sweet and surprised me with the fantastic vintage floral needlepoint picture.
When I stayed with her last summer, we went antiquing and I found this gorgeous picture at a cute little shop. It was actually a converted garden shed that a lady had turned into an antique shop right on her property. I spotted it hanging on the wall at the end of the day and at the end of my money. It was kind of expensive, so I decided to leave it behind.
As many of you know, I collect antique needlepoint pictures and this one was really calling my name! It's 3-1/2 feet long which is so rare! I have never seen a long one like that! I could not stop thinking about it, so on the way home I suggested to Kathi that she just put the normal amount of birthday money that she usually spends on me towards it and I would pay the rest and maybe she could go back and buy it for me. Then I quickly forgot about it! After all, my brain is 50 years old and that was three months ago! haha!
Any way, I was sooooo pleasantly surprised when I saw Kathi walking into my party carrying this gorgeous picture! I was so touched and so happy! It will go in my house beautifully and I will always have a special memory of being with Kathi and what she did to surprise me with it! It is meant to hang the vertically, but I am going to hang it horizontally. Now I just need to find a spot to hang it! :0)
God has blessed me with two very sweet and special sisters! We all love each other so much and have a lot of fun together. We inspire and help each other in every department, especially mothering, being good housewives and our relationships with God. 

Thank you dear sisters for the lovely gifts! You both are such blessings to me and I love you both so much!

"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:1-4

Hugs, Sharon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...