This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, September 24, 2011

A good evening....

We have a fun tradition at our home where we have Sunday night dinners (I know I have shared this before, so forgive me for repeating myself). We started this about 4 years ago. My kids all know that Mom and Dad will be having dinner and they are all invited. Most of the time we have 100% attendance from the family, but there are many times when it's just two or three of the kids here. It's one of those things where everyone is always welcome and if you can make it, come on over! I love this tradition! We all do! Sometimes it's a formal sit-down dinner, sometimes it's fast-food and sometimes it's a casual barbecue in the backyard. A lot of times we also watch a movie together.

A few weeks ago we were planning our Sunday dinner and we had a very large roast that Eric was going to barbecue; I knew we would have plenty of food, so we asked his parents if they would like to join us.  I was so happy when they said they could! Here's Alice enjoying a glass of wine on the back deck.
Cameron with his sweet Grandma Alice
I feel like I am almost getting panicky trying to do more things with our parents because we see the decline in their health and I'm realizing these days with them are winding down. The neat thing is, is that we have done this sort of thing with our parents throughout all of these years and I really don't have many regrets about not seizing the moments and spending more time with family. I think now that I realize they are all aging and some day they will not be with us anymore, I am valuing these times even more and I am documenting them more with photos. Time with family is so important!
I love it that all of the kids love to be together with us for these dinners. Here's Grayson and Rachelle enjoying the evening.
Alice has vascular dementia and she is having cognitive issues as well as she has lost her balance, so she cannot walk or stand alone for fear of falling. She has moments where she is quite lucid, but then she will have moments of confusion. The good news is, she is very happy and her attitude is amazing! Her husband, Jim, has been her sole caregiver and he is getting exhausted and has been losing weight. As a family we have been faced with some tough decisions and have decided that it's best for Alice to move to an assisted living facility. Thankfully, both Alice and Jim are on board with this decision.
Mackenzie and Brittany!
Alice and Hayden.
Me with my dear mother-in-law.
Eric and the boys were showing Jim our new quads.
I hope we can take Jim out for a ride on them sometime soon.
Beautiful Brittany holding MacGyver. He's getting big!
Alice loves kitties and really enjoyed holding MacGyver.
Grayson and grandpa!
Rachelle and Brittany.
Alice taught me a lot about entertaining and one thing in particular is to serve appetizers before a special dinner. It started a long time ago when I was just 16 years old and was  dating Eric; she would invite me over for dinner with their family and she always served appetizers before the meal. I was not familiar with this practice, so it was new and fun for me. I have carried on her custom with my own family! I wanted to make sure and serve appetizers on this night, so I served cheese and crackers, but Cameron surprised us and brought some delicious homemade fried zucchini.
Jim and Alice having a conversation.
Time to eat!
It was a simple meal, barbecued roast beef, homemade potato salad and homemade orange jello salad with mandarin oranges and marshmallows.
Jim is so sweet to Alice and he dished up her plate. He takes good care of his bride! The roast was delicious!
There's nothing like family!
Eric with his parents.
I made a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting for dessert.
We had a very special evening. I am very thankful every time we get to have one more family gathering with Jim and Alice, especially Alice with her condition. 

We are blessed indeed!

"Honor your father and your mother." Exodus 20:12a

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Beth said...

Sharon, I love your idea of a family Sunday dinner. And I can understand your concerns about aging and ailing parents. I am in that same boat. Thank you for sharing your sweet life. I really enjoy your blog and am uplifted when I read of your family's adventures. Our lives are very similar in many ways. God bless you.

Kathi said...

Sharon, It's wonderful that you have an open house for all of your kids on Sundays (really any day), but a planned one on Sundays. It's very special and yet, traditional too. It's hard to see Alice failing, but she is such a blessing to you all. I love the way you do things in your family. Love ya, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...