This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fruit armour....

This is how I protect our fruit from those pesky fruit-flies that come every September into our kitchen. I usually have a big bowl of fruit sitting out in the open on the counter, but in the fall the fruit flies come in massive amounts and invade our space and they get all over the fruit. 
Before when we've been attacked by fruit-flies, we used to put the fruit in the refrigerator or out in the garage, until I found this great solution! I simply put the fruit in big apothecary jars with lids on them and it works really great! It also looks really pretty too! 
I like it because the boys can still see the fruit and hopefully when they get an impulse to snack, they will see it there on the counter  and grab a piece for a healthy snack rather than grab cookies or chips. 
While we're talking about fruit-flies, I will give you another little tip. When the fruit-flies get bad in our kitchen, I set fruit-fly traps. I have told you about this helpful hint before, but it bears repeating. It's very simple to do. You just fill a glass about 1/3 full of apple cider vinegar...
...and add two or three drops of Dawn liquid soap to it. 
Set the glass in the area where you see the fruit-flies and just leave it for a couple of hours. 
When you check it later, more than likely the bottom of the glass will be filled with dozens of dead fruit-flies. 

Warning...the next picture below is gross! 

 Yep, I was right!
It's gross looking, but effective! You can dump it down the drain and then make another one if you are still having problems with them. This is an easy, cheap, nontoxic and effective way to kill those nasty, fast-breeding fruit-flies.
So never fear! Don't put up with annoying fruit-flies! Don't hide your fruit! Don't quit buying fruit in the fall! Be strong! Be Brave! Bring on the fall's bountiful fruit harvest without fear of those bothersome fruit-flies! 

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22

Hugs, Sharon

5 comments:

Rosie said...

I'm so glad you shared this...I will definitely try this the next time I notice any fruit flies around. And what a great idea to put the fruit in the apothecary jars... it does look pretty!

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Oh those awful fruit flies! Aack. Thanks for the recipe ~ I have forgotten about that. Love those jars. I bought one at an estate sale last year and now I'm seeing them at Walmart. The new ones have a really tight fitting lid, but the one I have is all glass. I can't think of the name of the rim that makes the lid stay tight. I love how you can SEE what's inside. :o) Our apple orchards are opening here in NY. I love this time of year!

Hope you're having a good week so far.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

What a great idea! I love the way the fruit looks so pretty in the jars as well! Enjoy your day!

as always starzie said...

Wow Sharon, that is great news on how to get rid of the fruit flies! I always wonder where they come from? Just one day they just show up!

Thanks for the info!
Darlene

nannykim said...

We have fruit flies no matter what time of the year. Bananas really breed them! I have been covering my bowl with plastic wrap and this morning there were swarms of them under the wrap. I have tried the vinegar trick before (minus the detergent), but it isn't really very effective for me---it takes days and also spraying poison. I finally thought about the jar with a cover today and then saw your post. I had to smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...