This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dinner date with Jim and Alice....

Whoot whoo! Baby's got new shoes and she's got places to go and people to see!
Aren't these adorable! I love the flashy buckles! I can't wait to wear them out tonight!
I'm excited because Eric's parent's invited us out to dinner! We have done this pretty often in the past, and it's been too long now, so I was really looking forward to it.
We met them at Applebees! Here's Jim and Alice looking over the menu.
Aren't they cute! Alice's health has really declined and it makes me very sad. She has vascular dementia and is slowly loosing her thought processes and her ability to walk. Well, she can walk, but she has no balance, so she is constantly falling, which is so dangerous.
She can't dress herself any more, so Jim does it for her. I thought he dressed her really cute. Jim is her full-time caregiver and he is getting exhausted. We are starting the process of moving her to an adult foster home, which is really, really sad, but it has to be done and Alice's attitude about it has been amazing.
One new thing that I have noticed since Jim took over her care is that there is always a barrette in her hair. I think it looks adorable and I think it is just so sweet that he likes to do that for her. They have been married for 55 years.
We had a very lovely dinner with them.
I asked if Alice would take a picture of us and she accidentally took a picture of herself! Hee hee! We all got a laugh out of that!
Eric and I had a very nice evening with them.
I first met them when I was just 16 years old! They have always been so kind and loving to me.
Jim and Eric helped alice get back to the car.

Life is not always fair. Alice has always been so active and smart. She's always taken very good care of herself with plenty of exercise and she watched what she ate. She played tennis up to the age of 72! She has always been a spiritual woman who sought God. She was a giving person who did many things for others.

She loved to cook and bake and she spent a lot of time in the kitchen. She loved to entertain. She's the one who gave me a love for entertaining. She was always fun and tried to make all of our events fun. She was playful. She had a real sense of style and loved to dress up. She was a girly girl and always had matching jewelry, purses and shoes.

She loved to learn and often times took art classes and history classes at the local college. She loved to travel and has had some wonderful trips to many different countries. She opened her own business in the 80s; it was an employment agency. She then went to school at about age 50, got her real-estate license, became an agent and was quite successful being inducted into the Million-Dollar Club. She retired at age 65.
After retiring, she stayed busy by volunteering with the Ladies' Guild and helped run the little gift shop at the local hospital. She then became President of the Ladies' guild and was honored for that in the local newspaper and with a big party. She was active in her church all the while taking care of her elderly mother who lived two hours away, making the trip up to see her about once a week toward the end of her mother's life.

She was a great mother-in-law to me and a great grandmother to my kids. She wanted to see the boys quite often and would call to see if they could come spend the night and go to the movies and do other fun stuff. She supported just about everything my kids did. She almost always came to their sporting events, music concerts and plays.
It doesn't seem fair that all of the sudden her memory started going and then her balance started going and she started to fall all the time. How can this happen to a woman who really embraced life and took care of herself? We don't know, but we have to accept it. God knows what He's doing.

Alice actually has a wonderful attitude about it. She is always smiling and laughing at herself. She never falls into self pity. Even through her illness, she is still a role model to me. I realize that even though she is still with us, she has changed and I am grieving the loss of the Alice that she used to be. I think about this a lot and I get sad, but I know that when she goes to heaven she will get a new body and there will be no sorrow. Until then though, I love her and I still want to be with her.
This is so sweet of Eric holding his mother's hand.
I am thankful that we all got to go out to dinner. When someone you love becomes ill, you realize that everything you do with them could be your last time, so we really need to embrace these moments and enjoy them. I always tell her I love her when we say goodbye. Really, we should live everyday like that any way.
Oh, and just a little side note.....while the shoes are so adorable and trendy, and I even got a compliment on them at the restaurant from a total stranger, they HURT my feet! I actually had to take them off to walk to the car! In my younger days, I would sacrifice my body for fashion, but not any more, I doubt I will ever wear these again. I'm glad I didn't pay much for them!

"Every time I think of you, I thank my God." Philippians 1:3day 

"Let not your heart be troubled. You are trusting God, now trust in Me. There are many homes up there where my Father lives, and I am going to prepare them for your coming. When everything is ready, then I will come and get you, so you can always be with Me where I am. If this weren't so, I would tell you plainly." John 14:1-3

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

Kathi said...

Sharon, What a sweet post about Alice. She is indeed all of those things. I remember he batting the baseball and running around the diamond and my house about five years ago. It is so sad to see her losing her abilities. What a loving example of a wife, mother, mother-in-law, friend and citizen she is. This was a beautiful tribute to her. Also, love your shoes; so cute. Your dinner looked so fun. Oh, and I love it that Jim puts barettes in Alice's hair. How sweet. I love you and I hope I can see you Thursday. Love, Kathi

Sue said...

Sharon, so beautifully written from your heart, I am truly touched and blessed by this tribute of your mother-in-law, Alice. Such a sweet, sweet, post.
Sue

Happy@Home said...

A very sweet, yet sad post Sharon. I watched my mom go through this same thing and it is heartbreaking to watch. I remember sitting with my mom often and thinking I miss her so much even though she was right there. But even though the dementia changed her greatly, the one thing I always knew was that she felt the love. I have no doubt that Alice feels the love of her family surrounding her. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...