This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Back to school makes me sad....

I'm sad!
These three little words have always made me sad!
What they mean to me is that our fun summer is over, my kids will no longer be around the house and it represents that they are a grade older and a year older and they just grow up too fast!
This year, however, is a really sad year for me because my baby boy out of my four sons, is going to be a senior.
What this means is that everything we do this year will be the last. Forrr-evvvv-errrr!
I really thought about this as I took Hayden school clothes shopping, so I started snapping pictures of our last time BTS shopping together. I love how he looks leaning up against the wall so casually as he's waiting for a fitting room. Coolness. Old memories came flooding to my mind and I started getting a little sad.
It really hit me hard when I was in the sock isle.
Booo-whoooo! Sniff, sniff. I remember when I had four little tow-head boys surrounding me looking for socks. :0(  Yes, there were times when it was stressful, trying to stay on the budget, butting heads with one of them about what to buy, sometimes the boys would argue with each other and sometimes someone would be super picky, but mostly we had a lot of fun. The boys were all always so excited to get their new clothes. We usually tagged on something fun at the end of our shopping trip like lunch and a movie.
Well, there he is, my baby. He's almost 18 and he's all grown up.
It has just been the two of us on these back to school shopping trips for the past two years and it's been fun. I have had at least one of my kids enrolled in school and gone back to school shopping for 21 years now. It just feels really weird knowing that this will be my last time.
As parents, many years ago, when our first son, Mackenzie, was in high school and working, Eric and I made the decision that we would continue to buy their shoes, coats, socks and underwear and school supplies, but they had to start buying their fashion items. We did this because money was tight, but also because we both did the same when we were teens and we felt that it helped us learn responsibility.
We believe in treating all the kids fairly, so Hayden is doing the same this year and he's buying most of his own clothes.
It's weird when you realize something you are doing is the last time you'll be doing it.
I am so proud of my boys and so happy that they all have grown up to be wonderful, responsible men, but it's easy to start feeling nostalgic at times like this and get a bit sad.
We're all done here! He got a lot of stuff and we got some great deals!
We stopped for a bite to eat.
We had a fun lunch together. Hayden looked at these pictures later and said, "Whoa, I gotta stop smiling like that." I thought that was funny. I think he's cute!
Outside calm and collected inside, a ball of mush ready to cry at a moments notice!
On to the next store. He has his first football game tonight and needed to get a new chin guard.
Yes, I am a stalker mom, not soccer mom, but stalker mom. I take pictures of my family all the time when they don't know it. I just kept snapping pictures of him because I know this is the last back to school shopping I'll ever do. I know I'm a weirdo. I'm just processing my feelings!
I have felt these feelings for all of my sons as they have aged, but I didn't get a digital camera until 2007! It's funny how now I take a million pictures compared to then, but it is such a great way to document your life. My poor two younger sons have had to endure so many more photo sessions than the older two! Taking all these pictures and blogging about it all has helped me so much deal with these life transitions of Empty Nest.
I'm so proud of him paying for his own stuff with his own debit card.
What an emotional day with so many mixed feelings. Feelings of pride and joy mixed with sadness and then the joy of the good memories, all rolled into one. This mama is a mess!
Okay, so were back home now and I wanted to show you my back to school display in my kitchen window.
This smart owl is a new addition to the display.
Miss Birdie is a wonderful school teacher!
These fine little owls are two new finds this year too. They are Miss Birdie's students! haha!  I love the little one sitting on the books.
Here's my little display on the cookbook shelf.
This Hot-wheel bus is perfect for my vignette!
Out on the front porch I added some rust colored mums and put them in old galvanized steel buckets. I set them on our wicker end tables.
I threw a wool plaid blanket over a wicker chair and hung a fall wreath on the antique window hanging on the side of the house there.
I have used these same items in my display for many years, but I love them!
I have a darling antique plaid metal lunch pail, yellow rubber boots, a mini chalkboard and a wooden apple.
Sitting on top of the old milk can are three antique school books that belonged to my father when he was a boy! There's a history book, a reading adventure book and a math book. I bundled them together with an old leather strap!
Then I set these wise old owls on top!
This darling little tin bucket is a new find this year. It actually is depicting a farm scene, but for some reason it really looks like a back to school scene to me! At first I filled it with plastic fruit, but then I bought some yellow mums and put them inside.
Hey, there's a cute little new student! Hee hee!
This is my last year of decorating for back to school. No more kids going to school. Oh booo-whoo! I could decorate like this next year, but I kind of doubt it, we will see how it goes.  Oh, booo-whooo! Maybe someday I'll do it for my grandchildren! Now there's a happy thought!!! :0)
A few days later we went to Bi-Mart, this time he drove.
We had to get all of his school supplies.
We had a just a few things on the list from the school to get.
It was pretty easy and didn't take long at all.
I remember the days of having those huge lists of supplies we needed to buy. It was always so exciting for the kids to get all their new supplies!!! Especially the back-packs, cigar boxes and lunch pails!!! I miss the days of buying supplies for the grade school level with wide ruled paper....
.....No. 2 pencils....
...rulers...
.....Elmer's glue...
.....watercolor paints...
....crayons...
....scissors and....
....the piece de-resistance, the mother of all school supplies, Pink Pearl erasers.
So we didn't buy any of that cute little kid stuff, we just bought a new trendy backpack, some cool mechanical pencils, a couple of good ink pens, some college ruled paper and a divided notebook. No glue, no rulers, no scissors, no fun stuff!
Oh, booo-whooo!
But as we were leaving the store, he did some 4-wheeling on the grocery cart.
He's still a kid at heart! And he's not going anywhere too soon. :0)
I love him!
Here he is....standing in the famous "first day of school" pose on the front porch. The first day of his last year of public school!
There he goes in his cool new back-pack.
Bye, Hayden, have a great first day of school! I hope you have a wonderful senior year.
Excuse me a minute while I ponder this moment and cry a little.
Wasn't he just starting kindergarten yesterday?
Here's his first day as a freshman in high school.
And here he is today! Wow has he grown!!! It's the first day of his senior year. My baby boy. The last one of my four sons. You're killing me here!!!!
I'm feeling rather nostalgic, so I dug out the kindergarten pictures of the other boys, here's Mackenzie....
....Cameron...
...Grayson and....
....Hayden again. Now they are all grown up men. How did the time ever pass by so quickly?

Here are some of the lyrics to the song playing on my blog right now, 
"Cherish" by Kool & The Gang

Let's cherish every moment we have been given
for time is passing by

Cherish the love we have
We should cherish the life we live
Cherish the love
Cherish the life

The world is always changing
Nothing stays the same
But love will stand the test of time

Cherish the love we have
Cherish the life we have
Cherish every moment we have together


I am so thankful for the life we have and I do cherish every moment! I am so thankful for all four of our sons that God has given us! We have had a delightful life with them and I know that life does not stop when they graduate high school or when they leave the nest, there is so much more to look forward to. Our older sons are all doing great and I am proud of every one of them!!! I can honestly tell you that I have very few regrets with the way we raised our kids and the time we spent with them. We have had so many good, good times together. I think I have always been a "stop and smell the roses" kind of person, so I spent a lot of time with them and we created some great memories. But, sometimes it's just hard a mom to remember the good old days....
Can I have a moment to my self please.......





"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die, 
a time to plant and a time to uproot, 
  a time to kill and a time to heal, 
   a time to tear down and a time to build, 
  a time to weep and a time to laugh
   a time to mourn and a time to dance
  a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, 
   a time to embrace and 
a time to refrain from embracing, 
  a time to search and a time to give up
   a time to keep and a time to throw away, 
  a time to tear and a time to mend, 
   a time to be silent and a time to speak, 
  a time to love and a time to hate, 
   a time for war and a time for peace."


~ Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Hugs, Sharon

5 comments:

Mardell said...

Oh Sharon, now you're making me cry! What a wonderful post about Hayden. Yes, it is hard watching them grow up too fast. My son is 23 and my daughter is 21. My youngest just started 2nd grade this year. It'll be awhile before he graduates. But it'll be here before I know it. I hope that you get some grandlittles soon so you can continue w/your traditions. I love how you decorated the porch. And that Macguyver (sp?) is so cute. As if he were posing ~ or maybe he was! :o) The pic of Hayden's first day of school compared to now ~ wow! Cute then and handsome now.

Kathi said...

Sharon, I am crying right along with you. I'm so emotional right now about all of this too. What a beautiful post about your love for your sons and your sorrow over Hayden being the last one, and doing something for the last time. It cuts like a knife. I am so thankful we can document these moments. I love your fall decorating. It's very pretty and sweet. I love you, and can't wait to see you today. I'll call you. Kathi

Cottonwood Tales said...

I love your blog and have been reading for a while !! Gotta post this time - I remember exactly how you feel - my sons are 29 and 26 and how I remember those school days. While it is sad, and praise the Lord that my two boys live close to me and hubby, you will get very use to be empty nesters one day! After living in an all male household, I finally have a girly, wonderful sewing room that I play in!!
Have a great day,
Karen in Texas

Molly's Art Designs said...

Sharon-
I feel the same way. My baby daughter is a senior in high school this year, and my oldest daughter is a junior in college. I will never stop buying Pink Pearl erasers though--they are the best! Your sons are all very handsome and smart--I know you are proud!
Blessings,
Molly

Rosie said...

Oh, I know how you feel Sharon. My older son is out of school and my younger son just started middle school. Nothing really prepares us for these milestones...we can only help prepare the way for them and hope and pray they find the right path and stay on it. They make us proud though, don't they?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...