This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Umpqua River Trip: Getting on the river...

We're all packed, the boats and trucks are all loaded and we are ready to head to the Umpqua River for a three day, two night camp trip! We have three boats this year and we have the whole family along; Mackenzie and Brittany, Cameron, Grayson and Rachelle, Hayden and his pal, Dustin.


Usually this is soooo exciting for me, but this year I have been apprehensive because on this same trip one year ago  we had an accident on the river that scared me. God was with us and protected us, but now I am really nervous and scared. I don't like feeling like this. I know it's wrong. I am worrying and fretting instead of trusting God. I pray that the Lord will be with us and protect us. I pray that I can calm down and trust Him.
The rest of the family was really looking forward to this annual trip. We have been making this camping trip for about 12 years or more. It's usually sooooo much fun. I wish that I felt a little more happy about it. I was, however, really looking forward to resting and relaxing and hanging out with my family, I just have to keep my fear in check.
My husband works really hard to make this trip happen. I am so thankful for him!
I pretty much just get to be a princess and rest on the trip. Well, I do carry my weight and help load and unload the boats and trucks, and I plan the meals and buy and pack all the groceries.
Grayson's girlfriend, Rachelle, got to join us this year!
The river is so pretty and there are always so many beautiful and interesting things to see, like this osprey nest in the top of this old dead tree.
We're hoping the weather will improve. The sky looks kind of ominous.
Blondie is so funny, she just loves this trip! She loves to swim and ride in the boat.
We tied the boats together and Eric pulled the kids down with his motor. We got on the river at about 5:30 and we wanted to get to our campsite before dark.
Grayson, Rachelle and Dustin in their boat.
We made it...there's the campsite!
The boats are all anchored up to shore.
As soon as we dock the boats, everyone gets busy to build camp.
It's starting to look like home away from home!
My four handsome sons. From left to right, Grayson, Hayden, crazy Mackenzie and Cameron.
Home sweet home!
The boys decided to go swimming.
It was a little cold, but...
...they were having so much fun!
Mackenzie and Brittany brought a fun game called Ladder Toss, also known as Hillbilly Horseshoes. It's kind of like horse shoes, but you are throwing two balls that are attached to a rope and you try to get them to swing around the bars.  The girls are playing it....
...against the guys.
Now Hayden's giving it a whirl.
Nice throw Hayden!
Cameron found himself a little snack!
Everyone gathered firewood, so we had a huge bonfire.
I love this time of night. All the work is done and now we get to sit down and relax.
Me and Brittany. I'm so blessed with my daughter-in-law!
Mackenzie and Brittany snuggling under the stars!
It's getting dark and getting chilly.
Grayson and Rachelle warming themselves by the fire.
Hayden chuckling about something around the fire.

Well, it's time for bed. I sure hope I will sleep good, I have been so nervous being back on this river after the accident last year. I hate to admit it, but I have been a bit on edge and moody. What has added even more to my fear is sadly, a friend of mine's cousin drowned on this very river just three weeks ago. He was only 27 years old, the same age as Mackenzie. He was trying to swim across the river and didn't make it. I broke my heart, I felt so bad for his wife and children who were on the shore and for his mother and father. I have been praying for their family.

That incident combined with what happened to us last year gave me an irrational fear. It's a fear that the enemy is putting there. I know God does not want me to live in fear, but it's strange how it comes over you sometimes and you can't control it. I have been praying and reading scripture. I know God is with us, but I do have fear.

 We have a big day on the river tomorrow I better get some shut eye! Goodnight!

Come back this evening at 5:30 PM and you can read about our second day on the river and then tomorrow morning at 5:30 AM to read about our last day. 

"I will lie down in peace and sleep, for You alone, O Lord, will keep me safe." Psalm 4:4

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Sharon, Your trip looks so fun. I'm sorry you had some fear because of last year. God is so good to get you through and to ease your worries. You have a beautiful family. Love, Kathi

Sue said...

Enjoyed this read, and your thoughts on fear. So sorry for the loss of that family.
Sue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...