This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, July 23, 2011

A special dinner for Virginia....

Sometimes life just works out really neat, doesn't it! Recently a little thing worked out really great in my life. My husband was gone fishing for a few days and my friend Virginia had emailed me and said she had something to give to me and wanted to find a time to meet with me. I too, had something for her, so I suggested that she come over for a light dinner on Tuesday night. It just so happened that her schedule was free and she was able to join me, so I took the opportunity to make a pretty table setting for two in the living room using my new purple pansy chintz dishes.
Well, these dishes are new to me and have never been used, but I actually bought them at a garage sale a year ago and have not used them yet! I only paid $5.00 for the whole set! Click  Here to read more about that.
This is this is the first time I have used them and I had a lot of fun putting this table together.
After I bought the dishes, I knew that I would need some pretty table linens and wine glasses to coordinate with them, so I kept my eyes open whenever I went thrift store shopping. I was thrilled when I found a perfect table linen set in excellent condition at a thrift store for $2.99.
It came with four napkins and the cute table cloth.
The tablecloth has grapes climbing around the border with bunches of grapes sprinkled throughout the whole cloth.
I think they coordinate wonderfully with the dishes!
Since I have decided to start making special dinners for my husband, I have been picking up really unique and beautiful plates and table accessories at thrift stores and garage sales. I am happy to report that things are pretty easy to find in sets of two compared to sets of four or six! For example, I found two of these wonderful white bird napkin rings at Goodwill for .99 cents each. Normally I would pass them up because there were not six or more of them, but now I will buy pretty things if there are just two of them.
I also picked up these two beautiful amethyst wine goblets.
I love this awesome silverware set that I found at Goodwill.
They are white resin trimmed with beautifully ornate carved silver at the necks and tips of the utensils. I actually only found 5 pieces, one knife was missing, so I just put plain white one in front of my table setting. I thought they were worth it and maybe someday I'll get blessed and find the missing knife.
I thought the whole table turned out beautiful.
I was excited all day at work knowing that I was going to have my good friend over for a special dinner that night and that I had this pretty table set for her.  I was looking forward to visiting with her and making her feel special.
Because it was so last minute, I told her in advance that I was going to cheat and pick up a yummy chicken salad and garlic bread sticks from our local pizzeria. It turned out delicious! It was the perfect light dinner for us girls!
We had a lovely and memorable evening. 

You know, it doesn't take a lot of effort to do something like this, you just have to have a few pretty pieces of china on hand and a little bit of creativity and the desire to go the extra mile for someone special! 

"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms." I Peter 4:7-11

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

jAne said...

such a thoughtful and pretty way to bless a dear friend. :o)

Kathi said...

Sharon, your table setting is so pretty. What a fun opportunity to use your lovely dishes. I'm glad you had a special dinner with Virginia. Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...